Subject: RE: [Fwd: RE: Straw tubes]
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:18:30 +0100
From: Patrick Hester <Patrick.Hester@lamina.uk.com>
To: Tim Whitlatch <whitey@jlab.org>
CC: Patrick Clayton <Patrick.Clayton@lamina.uk.com>

Tim,

I have noted that in your specification there is mention of Kapton in para 1.0 and polyimide in Para 2.1.1. The Kapton is generally chosen if there is a requirement for radiation resistance and a high temperature dimensional stability, but we have made many polyester straw tubes also.

I have traced the polyester with a deposit of 300 angstroms of Al  The tubes had inner and outer deposits of Al and were supplied to Mr  Mauro Savrie at INFN Sezione di Ferrara, Via Saragat, 1 Edificio C, 144100 Ferrara, Italy.e-mail savrie@fe.infn.it telephone Italy 39 05329 74211. Infn have had several lots of these tubes with wall thickness of 0.030 mm. The thin wall sometime will have a slight but small flat caused by handling but this is not apparent after they have been gas filled.

I will come back to you on the Al laminate as soon as I have sufficient details from the supplier. Another popular inner layer is the conductive Kapton XC sometimes with an Al deposit on the inner surface.. I hope all this is helpful and not confusing. Kind regards. Patrick Hester,