Re: Radiated noise from the Cockcroft Walton bases

Hi Elton,

The only thing I've looked at is the output signal from the CW bases;
there is switching noise at the charge pump frequency (~ 1 KHz) of
about 10 mV into 50 ohms.

I've never looked at radiated noise per se; in E852 we had the
Russian CW bases less than a meter away from a drift chamber with no
problems.

In both E852 and RadPhi each base and PMT was enclosed in an iron
tube for magnetic shielding; this would also shield against any
radiated electrical noise.  There has been some discussion of not
having these iron tubes in the GlueX cell wall.  However, the FCAL
will still be in some sort of metal box, so there should still be
shielding against radiated noise.

Ideally one would like some sort of spectrum analyzer setup in order
to measure radiated noise as a function of frequency, distance, and
shielding.  This has not been done.

Paul