Re: list of assignments for bcal decision

Hi Elton:

A couple of comments with regards to your e-mail below:

1. The review (teleconference I presume) next Monday is a good idea and
we will participate from Regina.

2. I thought that the meeting on the 23rd is not to make any decision
regarding the BCAL read-out, but instead we will discuss in great
technical details the various options (SiPM's, Planacons and mesh
PMT's).  Yet you refer to a decision that gets my blood flowing.
Anything changed or it was a Freudian slip? :-)

3. I have received notification from SensL that a couple of their people
will be able to visit JLab next week and perhaps be able to take part in
some of the discussions on the April 23-24.  I would strongly encourage
this possibility to hear from the source directly the update and be able
to ask all the specific questions we need.  This partly addresses your
suggestion of persons outside the project.  What other names do you have
in mind and what is their role or expertise?  Meetings that have too
many persons involved get cumbersome and not as productive as smaller
groups of persons directly in the know.  On the other hand, we don't
want to exclude anyone with specific knowledge on field resistant
sensors and electronics expertise.  Please, don't invite Domingo and
others just for an audience and ideas on the fly.

4. Before Zisis and George commit themselves to yet another document,
please have a look at 739, 708 and 664 (all by Zisis) and see if the
info is not already there.  I am also working on a detailed report
showing BCAL response to photons, spectra and read-out segmentation and
how it matches the SiPM parameters.  Manpower at the UofR is so tight
now, any duplication of effort on material already readily available
will only make things worse on other fronts.

The topics you listed look fine to me.

So sprach Georg

George

>>> Elton Smith <elton@jlab.org> 04/11/07 6:04 AM >>>

Hi Bcal enthusiasts,

I would like to reserve an hour on Monday afternoon (I suggest 1:00 pm)
review issues that need addressing before the Bcal decision meeting the
following week. Below is a list of issues that need updates. I have put
some names down on the likely candidates for reporting on these.

It might also be useful to go over the format/schedule for the Bcal
review
(times, format, etc). Do we want to ask a couple of persons which are
not
direcly in the project to give us some feedback?

I would also ask George/Zisis to prepare a 1-2 page table of Bcal design
parameters in a format similar to what was done for the drift chambers
before the DC review (See for example GlueX-doc-740). We will need this
for all subsystems in preparation for CD-2, so this is a good time to
create it for the Bcal. (This information is in various documents and it
will be useful to summarize it into a couple of pages).

Topics (please send me items that are missing)

0.  How to summarize how physics needs drive the design specs
        - energy resolution
        - energy threshold

1.  SiPM
	- linearity/dynamic range
	  - need for amplification
	- need for cooling?
          - measurements of dark rate (Carl)
          - spectrum of dark noise (Carl)
	- lifetime (DESY experience) (George)
        - outline of single electronics channel (LV/disc/signal/etc)
          (George/Zisis)
	- budgetary estimate from SensL

2.  Planacon
	- amplifier/shaper (Carl/Vladimir?)
	- light guide design / optics of light collection of WC into
          fibers (George?)
	- placement
          - B-field map of fringe field (David)
	- lifetime