Re: A proposal for setting a BCAL threshold

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Matthew Shepherd wrote:

Matt,

just one remark the assumption that all of the dark rate will be one
photon electron is not really true for SiPMTs, please look to
/home/elke/public/070419_jlabs_presentation.pdf page 29 and 30
as a pixel can only be on or off, contrary to other devices.

bye elke

> [...]
>

> Richard and George,
>
> Thanks for the info.  So 32 MHz was maybe a bit optimistic -- let's
> take then 60 MHz.  At 60 MHz, the probability to have 11 or more dark
> pulses in a 100 ns window is 0.04 (less than 5%).  So I will bump the
> threshold up to 11 photoelectrons or about 2.4 MeV.
>
> I propose a 1 MeV threshold coming out of HDGeant.  Then in the BCAL
> response code in DANA I'll introduce some sampling fluctuations and
> make a second cut at 2.4 MeV.
>
> -Matt
>

> On Jun 8, 2007, at 1:12 PM, George Lolos wrote:
>
> > Hi Richard and Matt:
> >
> > We had a phone conference yesterday with SensL and they have just
> > tested the wafers for the arrays under Phase 1.
> > The 820L pixel type has demonstrated the following performance at
> > room temperature:
> >
> > Voltage above breakdown                         Pure PDE (no cross
> > talk or after pulsing)                DR/pixel                  DR/
> > Array
> >
> >           +
> > 1V
> >     7%                                                   800
> > Hz                  65 MHz
> >           +
> > 2V
> >   11%                                                 1700
> > Hz                137 MHz
> >           +
> > 3V
> >   13%                                                 3200 Hz
> >           +
> > 4V
> >   17%
> > At a temperature of +5 C  the dark rates are cut by a factor of
> > 2.6, so without an elaborate or expensive cooling we can bring this
> > down to around 53 MHz at 11% PDE.   These then will be for Phase
> > 1.  For Phase 2, the new Si process they have just implemented has
> > reduced the DR by a factor of just over 2 and they expect to
> > further improve and come down to that of the original Si treatment
> > that does not give good reproducibility of breakdown voltage.
> > Trenching will also reduce cross talk and keep the DR at the 1 P.E.
> > level.
> >
> > The bottom line is that Richard is correct that at the present time
> > 32 MHz at PDE values larger than have not been achieved.   Are such
> > rates achievable for production?  I believe they are but aiming at
> > a more realistic 50-60 MHz at PDE ~ 10-15% is the wiser route to go.
> >
> > I hope this helps,
> >
> > George
> >

> > Richard Jones wrote:
> >
> >> Matt,
> >>
> >> The design goal of 32MHz may eventually be achieved, but this is
> >> not demonstrated.  At the last meeting George agreed that 100MHz
> >> is achievable with what he has seen.  I would believe something
> >> more like 150MHz @ 22C from what I have actually seen, but I am
> >> not working with Sensl modules.  This depends a lot on
> >> temperature, but we agreed that we do not want to have to

 ( `,_' )+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=
  )    `\                                                  -
 /    '. |                                                  +
 |       `,              Elke-Caroline Aschenauer            =
  \,_  `-/                                                    -
  ,&&&&&V         Jefferson Lab                                +
 ,&&&&&&&&:       HALL-D 12C / F381       121-A Atlantic Avenue =
,&&&&&&&&&&;      Mailstop: 12H5          Hampton, VA 23664      -
|  |&&&&&&&;\     12000 Jefferson Ave                             +
|  |       :_) _  Newport News, VA 23606  Tel.:  001-757-224-1216  =
|  |       ;--' | Mail:  elke@jlab.org    Mobil: 001-757-256-5224   -
   \_    |  |---' Tel.:  001-757-269-5352                             =
     `-._\__/     Fax.:  001-757-269-6248                              -