First Fits

Hi all,

As I mentioned last week at the software meeting, Mihajlo and I are
working amplitude analysis in all-neutral channels.  Mihajlo has
written some reconstruction/analysis code for the eta-pi channel.
We've generated a toy data set with interfering a0(980) -> eta pi and
a2(1320) -> eta pi resonances using very simple two Breit-Wigner
model for now.  This gets run through hit level MC where Mihajlo does
reconstruction using the full BCAL and FCAL algorithms along with
event selection.  Using an independent phase-space-like MC sample to
model acceptance we then do the partial wave decomposition in bins of
eta pi mass fitting for 5 waves (P and D have different m projections
that are added together in the plots below).

Attached is the result of the first fit to the "data" -- hot of the
press.  Of course, there are many studies to do, but already we can
see the fitter pulls out the two dominant waves.  You can see other
things too, like what appears to be some leakage into the D wave
under the a0.  We'll be paying particular attention to leakage into
the exotic P waves, especially when we start to tinker with how well
we understand, for example, the BCAL/FCAL gap.  We also want to focus
on the error bars because these are can reflect ambiguity or
correlations between wave amplitudes as a result of imperfect
acceptance.  See you all later in the week.

Cheers,

Matt

first_fit.pdf