Re: BCAL inner layer

Zisis,

For this purpose you might consider "machinable tungsten" which is a matrix of tungsten dust with copper/nickel/tin holding it together.  It is actually cheaper than pure tungsten and is typically 95% tungsten by weight but can be machined at room temperature without cracking.  Vendors ship a variety of different grades from which you can chose the Rockwell hardness that you want.

Richard Jones

Richard J.
Zisis Papandreou wrote:
C91CCA21-41CF-4445-8A23-D6BE5F036E27@uregina.ca">Hello Tim:

this is a good point to bring up again.  We will soon begin studies of a pre-radiator in front of the BCAL to compensate for the potential loss of radiation thickness should we change the lead sheet thickness, in order to have a larger volume of fibers and thus collect more light.  As was discussed during the BCAL Mini Overview last Friday, this does not impact you folks, as all changes will be contained within the BCAL volume, with the exception of the innermost layer.  In the past we simulated Tungsten there.  Do you see any difficulties in using it instead of stainless steel?  I understand that it is somewhat difficult to machine for fiber grooves and bolt threads, but I believe it is doable.  Any comments?

From Wikipedia:  :-)

"Pure tungsten is steel-gray to tin-white and is a hard metal. Tungsten can be cut with a hacksaw when it is very pure (it is brittle and hard to work when impure) and is otherwise worked by forging, drawing, extruding, or sintering. Of all metals at temperatures above 1650 °C (3000 °F), this element has the highest melting point (3422 °C) (6192 °F), lowest vapor pressure and the highest tensile strength. Tungsten has the lowest coefficient of thermal expansion of any pure metal. Its corrosion resistance is excellent and it can be attacked only slightly by most mineral acids. Tungsten metal forms a protective oxide when exposed to air but can be oxidized at high temperature. Steel alloyed with small quantities of tungsten greatly increases its toughness."

As far as the thickness this will come from the simulations.  We have a target date of January 15th for this, according to the BCAL Action Tracker:

Cheers for now, Zisis...

---
Dr. Zisis Papandreou |  email: zisis@uregina.ca
Department of Physics |  tel. : (306) 585-5379
University of Regina |  tel. : (306) 585-4149
Regina, SK  S4S 0A2 |  fax. : (306) 585-5659

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature