Re: Flash ADC Timing

Hi Matt,

    I was concerned because the detector summary table specifies a
timing resolution of 400 ps for the FCAL. So, I need to update it to 4
ns. This sort of resolution should be easy to implement.

    I will let you know when I can send you a fADC. You will need to
have a VME64x crate, though. If you don't have one already, there is
usually a lead time of a few weeks for delivery at a cost of about $8k -
$10k.

Best regards,
Fernando

Matthew Shepherd wrote:

> Hi Fernando,
>
> I understand the claims in the document are rather optimistic;
> however, the fact of the matter is that we probably just need timing
> resolution roughly on the scale of sampling rate to suppress
> beam-related out of time noise.
>
> If you have a real fADC that is ready for use we're happy to take it
> and get it setup and running here.  This would serve many purposes --
> probably most important at this point is that we could use the real
> PMT, light guide, base, and fADC that we plan for the actual
> experiment to readout just one bar and probe the low energy threshold
> of the calorimeter using cosmic rays (and guidance from simulation).
>
> -Matt
>

> On Nov 16, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
>
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>>    I am familiar with those documents and I recall that at the time
>> we started developing the fADC (~2 years?), I suggested that someone
>> needed to take some real data with Paul's single-channel prototype
>> and try doing the prescribed fittings, etc. To the best of my
>> knowledge, no one in the collaboration has done that.
>>
>>    Referring to the document, the algorithm relies on finding the
>> exact pulse peak and getting the two preceding samples to determine
>> the 50% time, for instance. The exact peak was determined from
>> sampling at 2.5 GHz (400 ps intervals) and fitting the data with a
>> 9th degree polynomial. The data was then "degraded" to provide the
>> equivalent of 8 or 10-bit, 250 MHz (4 ns intervals) sampling. Note
>> that the exact peak is critical for the algorithm to provide the
>> quoted resolution, although these details are missing from the document.
>>
>>    The real fADC, and sampling at 250 MHz, will not provide a sample
>> of the true pulse peak. I believe that such "fluctuation" will
>> degrade the effective resolution considerably. So, I suggest that
>> this needs to be checked with a real fADC, perform the algorithm on
>> real raw fADC data (offline) and determined the effective resolution
>> that can be achieved by this method. Obtaining 400 ps resolution from
>> 4 ns data points and from 10 ns pulse rise times seems difficult to
>> me. We actually may have to shape (i.e. slow) the pulse to get more
>> samples on the leading edge of the pulse. Once the algorithm is well
>> understood, it will need to be implemented in a relatively
>> simple/compact manner to fit within the resources of the FPGAs or
>> board memory. Eventually, any data that is passed up the chain must
>> be balanced with the backplane bandwidth.
>>
>>    Let me suggest you set up a test with the real
>> PMTs/bases/scintillator/fiber/laser and get data with a real fADC, a
>> TDC and CFD. We could lend you one fADC-250 to get the raw data. Let
>> me know what you decide and how I can help.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Fernando
>>

>> Matthew Shepherd wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,

> [...]
begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA