Flash ADC Timing

Hi all,

The study I was referring to has been linked to the FCAL page here:

http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/FCAL

This work was done about 3 years ago and claims a resolution of about
~160 ps can be achieved.  This is far better than is actually needed
to push down backgrounds.  I think Scott had in mind another
application:  using the FCAL to determine the event start time.  The
algorithm does a transformation of the leading edge of the pulse to
determine the start time and depends on having the two samples before
the peak on the leading edge.

I believe Paul had planned to implement this in a simple lookup table
which would require about 65K of memory on the chip.  Perhaps that
could be optimized even more.  It was never investigated in detail
mainly because it seemed like something relatively easy to
implement.  All of these buffers will need some processing -- the
drift chambers will also depend on the timing algorithms that are
built into the flash ADCs.

-Matt