[Re: Phase II] But about BCAL BC-600 <<< For George

Hi,

Eljen Technology make an equivalent of BC-600 called EJ-500.  I have
purchased many Bicron equivalents from Eljen with substantial savings.
This could turn into large cost saving especially, if I recall
correctly, that the total projected BC-600 cost was ~200 k$.

I am almost positive that EJ-500 is exactly BC-600.   I can contact
Chuck Hurlbut from Eljen and confirm this.  Chuck, some may recall, was
the head chemical engineer for Bicron who started his own company named
after his daughters Ellen and Jenny.

Paul

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 19:27 -0500, Elke-Caroline Aschenauer wrote:
> > We had looked at other (cheaper) epoxies for the matrix of lead and
> > SciFi.  However, we could not find any obvious advantages over the
> > BICRON 600 we have been using and KLOE also used.  We know BICRON
> 600
> > has good strength and does not chemically attack the SciFi material
> so
> > we have long concluded on BICRON 600.  As for the lead, what do you
> > mean?  We have submitted test reports clearly stating we need pure
> lead
> > because any alloying results in problems with swaging.  What we do
> need
> > to resolve is whether we change the sampling fraction of the first
> > couple of layers or not.  So, in my opinion we have specifications
> for
> > all items needed for construction.
> >

> George, no doubt we know what we want but we need to place orders with
> the
> vendors, for the glue it might be so easy as just ordering BICRON 600
> if
> there is nothing else on the market which fits, than we need a sole
> source
> justification for this, not a big deal but needs to be written.
Prof. Paul Eugenio
Florida State University
Department of Physics
205 Keen Building