Re: Calorimeter Review Talk

Hi Elton

Thanks for your excellent comments Elton.  And the start
of this dialog underscores the need to get first versions
out soon so we can start the iteration process.

To address your comments:

1.  Need for position information.
That's a good point.  It is covered somewhat in slide 13 - insofar as
what happens when you degrade the position information and its
effect on mass resolution.  I need to add some words to
point this out.  But I also need to carry this out further -
such as the effect on how merging photons affects acceptance.
Will think more.

2.  Granularity
This is answered by the plots of Slide 11.  I will add words about
the effect of degrading the granularity by a factor of two and
improving by the same factor from nominal.  In all this we are
starting from the assumption that the FCAL-like parameters in
E852 and the BCAL-like parameters in KLOE gets physics done
and the issue is how this meets the need for GlueX.

3.  BCAL timing
The effect on position is somewhat addressed as above.  The
TOF application is addressed in the intro section that I wrote
and I had meant to include a slide but 'ran out of steam'
I will do so.

4.  EM rates
I agree - and I will include this in the talk and in the intro
section of the document.

5.  Hadronic Backgrounds
I will re-check using Pythia - but my sense is that this is better
covered in the talk (and document section) that Matt and Mihajlo
are working on because a large part of the backgrounds come
about, in the context of a given photon topology (e.g. 4 photons)
from promoting a lower topology to a higher topology because
of algorithmic or physical effects and a demoting of a higher
topology to lower by missing  photon for the same reasons.

6.  Readout in magnetic field
I think this is better covered in the FCAL and BCAL talks.  But I can
certainly summarize these issues you raise in my summary/conclusions
slide as 'and now for upcoming attractions.'

7. Miminimizing material
Again - better covered by M&M - but I can advertise so the
reviewers get ready for really tough questions :-)

8.  Gaps in coverage
See slide 12 - the point here is the effect of what happens to the
coverage in the cos[theta_GJ] angular distribution when you start
eating into the LAB angle coverage from 11 to 15 degrees.  There are
words in the intro section that go with this.  For talks, I don't necessarily
feel that all the words need to be on the slides - I see these as
visual aids to help getting the message across.

Your comments and observations are much appreciated.  I will also
re-visit the document to make sure these are covered in detail.

Have fun tomorrow with the FDC review.

BTW - I sent answers earlier today to Daniel and you regarding the
effect of eating into the forward 1 degree coverage in the FDC's
I hope the slides I sent you were of use.

Cheers
Alex