Re: calorimeter document

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Matthew Shepherd wrote:

Dear Matt,

thanks for taking the suggestions into account.

bye elke

> [...]
>
> - tried to make clear that we are rejecting only pythia generated
> channels that exclusively match our signal
>
> To ensure that the sample is originates from pure background hadronic
> photoproduction processes, we examine the identities of the generated
> particles as provided by \pyth{} and discard events that match our
> {\em exclusive} signal final state topology.
>
> - sprinkled in a few more sentence around the dense text about our
> "poor man's" kinematic fit:
>
> The most effective method of suppressing remaining hadronic
> backgrounds is to employ a global kinematic fit that enforces four-
> momentum conservation and evaluate the goodness of fit for the signal
> candidate; however, such techniques have not yet been fully
> developed.  In lieu of a global kinematic fit, we simply place
> requirements on the total reconstructed energy and transverse momentum
> of the signal photons.  Figure~\ref{fig:e0pyt_etot} shows the total
> energy of the $\eta\pi^0$ candidate photons for events with only one
> candidate from \pyth{} background (top left) and from signal $\eta
> \pi^0$ (top right).
> The red points in the top right plot show the background from \pyth{}
> scaled to the signal based on the ratio of cross sections predicted by
> \pyth{}.  In order to mimic the energy conservation constraint that a
> full kinematic fit would enforce, we select events with $E(4\gamma) >
> 8.0$~GeV.  In addition, the total transverse momentum $p_{\mathrm{T}}$
> must sum to zero to conserve momentum.  The lower pair of plots in
> Figure~\ref{fig:e0pyt_etot} show, in the same style, $p_{\mathrm{T}}$
> of the signal $\eta\pi^0$ candidate and recoil proton after the
> $E(4\gamma)$ requirement.  To enforce conservation of momentum, events
> with $p_{\mathrm{T}}<100$~MeV/$c$ are selected.
>
> and added to the end of the paragraph:
>
> For the analyses presented here, we make no additional selection
> requirements although it is recognized that there exist additional
> techniques for further suppressing background, {\it e.g.,} selecting $
> \pi^0$ or $\eta$ candidates whose decay photon energies are not
> heavily asymmetric.
>
> Unfortunately I just do not have time to complete the following things:
>
> - alterations to conversion figure to indicate detector regions where
> conversions happen (it is noted in the caption)
> - addition of Beni's rainbow scatter plot showing conversions
> - addition of summary table for simulated and generated properties
>
> I will certainly include the first two in my talk.  I don't think the
> last is a disaster because the only place we could make a direct
> comparison between actual beam test and simulation would be in BCAL
> energy resolution.  The remainder of the items are either implemented
> in simulation and not completely independently verified or measured
> (like BCAL timing resolution) but not implemented in simulation.  Of
> course, I realize there is some value in collecting the numbers all in

 ( `,_' )+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=
  )    `\                                                  -
 /    '. |                                                  +
 |       `,              Elke-Caroline Aschenauer            =
  \,_  `-/                                                    -
  ,&&&&&V         Jefferson Lab                                +
 ,&&&&&&&&:       HALL-D 12C / F381       121-A Atlantic Avenue =
,&&&&&&&&&&;      Suite 8                 Hampton, VA 23664      -
|  |&&&&&&&;\     12000 Jefferson Ave                             +
|  |       :_) _  Newport News, VA 23606  Tel.:  001-757-224-1216  =
|  |       ;--' | Mail:  elke@jlab.org    Mobil: 001-757-256-5224   -
   \_    |  |---' Tel.:  001-757-269-5352                             =
     `-._\__/     Fax.:  001-757-269-6331                              -