Re: Thoughts on motivating tof for Review

Elton -

    Thanks for putting this together, it is a good start on organizing this
material.
On Fri February 22 2008, Elton Smith wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I spent some time with Matt and Beni to go over the motivation/arguments
> for tof in the detector, given that kaon id is very limited. I put these
> out for comments/discussion especially in order to define what
> calculations/work might need to be done in preparation for the review. We
> came up with the following points
>
> - pion purity (how often are we fooled by other topologies?)
> - positive proton id (mostly in the barrel)
> - forward tof input to trigger
> - timing information for analysis (start time for drift times, rejection
> of accidentals coincidences with the tagger)
> - part of future comprehensive pid detector package for detector (covering
> pi/K id below 2 GeV).
>
> I would appreciate comments suggestions on what to emphasize and priority
> for any studies that are required.

I suppose that the best way to deal with these is to simply use a large sample
of PYTHIA events to emulate our global spectra. Historically, we picked particular
channels of interest such as p4pi and p2pi2K with and without resonance contributions.
I would guess that PYTHIA would give is a better handle. I would add that the most promising
final states in searches for Hybrids involve 4  and 5 pseudoscalar mesons. In some sense,
generating Pythia data, and then skimming out these particular events might be a
good way to start.

> Questions:
> - What is the granularity (segmetation) required due to rate
> considerations?
> - What is the spectra of all particle species (pi,K,p) over the detector
> (e.g. what is the ratio of particle types in the Bcal and the TOF?)
> - Study acceptance of charge particles (actual trajectories in B field)
> for the 1deg beam hole and at the largest angles?
>

> Elton Smith
> Jefferson Lab MS 12H5
> 12000 Jefferson Ave
> Suite # 16
> Newport News, VA 23606
> elton@jlab.org
> (757) 269-7625
> (757) 269-6331 fax

Curtis

--
Professor Curtis A. Meyer        Department of Physics
Phone:  (412) 268-2745          Carnegie Mellon University