Thoughts on motivating tof for Review

Friends,

I spent some time with Matt and Beni to go over the motivation/arguments
for tof in the detector, given that kaon id is very limited. I put these
out for comments/discussion especially in order to define what
calculations/work might need to be done in preparation for the review. We
came up with the following points

- pion purity (how often are we fooled by other topologies?)
- positive proton id (mostly in the barrel)
- forward tof input to trigger
- timing information for analysis (start time for drift times, rejection
of accidentals coincidences with the tagger)
- part of future comprehensive pid detector package for detector (covering
pi/K id below 2 GeV).

I would appreciate comments suggestions on what to emphasize and priority
for any studies that are required.

Questions:
- What is the granularity (segmetation) required due to rate
considerations?
- What is the spectra of all particle species (pi,K,p) over the detector
(e.g. what is the ratio of particle types in the Bcal and the TOF?)
- Study acceptance of charge particles (actual trajectories in B field)
for the 1deg beam hole and at the largest angles?

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab MS 12H5
12000 Jefferson Ave
Suite # 16