Re: Minutes posted, calib goals requested

Hi Christine,

For the FCAL the Cherenkov distribution is falling like 1 / lambda^2,
so light peaked at the blue end of the spectrum is most realistic.  We
will need to come up with a method of quantifying light output and
then we should be able to a produce a measure of what we expect.

I'm not certain that we need individual block scans with a radioactive
source or some other absolute mechanism.  I think the most important
things for us are that the calibration source is uniform and time
stable.  In addition, it is important that the calibration light
traverse the block to be able to test for radiation damage.  I imagine
using online calibration for monitoring relative gains of channels
then doing the absolute energy scaling on physics offline.  (We need
to be sure this is a feasible approach.)

Our "default" plan has been to go with what was used in E852.  This is
injecting light into a plexiglass sheet that is in front of the
array.  If the injection is done in many points around the perimeter,
this produces a relatively uniform source of light for the full
array.  A plan like this sounds like it would fit nicely into your
scheme.  Of course we will need to better examine/simulate/prototype
this to be sure it does what we want.

Cheers,

Matt