SiPM fiber test

Hi All,
it occurred to me that there is another correction one has to apply in
order to get
the mean number of photo electrons caused by electrons from a Sr90
source when
using a SiPM. I have put a draft  of a document I am writing about the
fiber tests
I do here at Jlab on the doc dtabase 1234-v1 where in section 2.2 I
describe the results
when I also use a SiPM.

The spectrum of the SIPM with no Sr90 source can be viewed as random
triggers, noise in the trigger PM
and when a cosmic is going through the fiber. Both cases are independent
of the Sr90 source trigger. That
is the reason why I think one has to subtract the normalized background
spectrum (normalized to time) from
the Sr90 spectrum as Andrei did. But the resulting spectrum is still a
convolution of the the Sr90 electron event with the
dark rate of the SiPM which is to first order the background spectrum
and hence on has to subtract the mean
of the background Poisson distribution from the Sr90 source Poisson
distribution.

After subtracting the background spectrum (no Sr90 source) from the main
Sr90
source spectrum the remaining spectrum is still a convolution of two
Poisson distributions.
Namely one from the light produced by the electrons from the Sr90 source
and the other from
the dark rate of the SiPM. Therefore, after extracting the mean number
of photo electrons from the
background corrected spectrum one has to subtract from this the mean
number of photo electrons
as obtained from the background spectrum alone.

cheers,
Beni

Benedikt Zihlmann
TJNAF