Re: GAS-1 ASIC: very reasonable first results!

Hi Mitch,

    Congrats! Very encouraging preliminary results.

Thanks to all,
Fernando

Mitch Newcomer wrote:

To All,
Looks like a very successful (Amplifier Shaper) prototype !
We measured the epected  35mW  per channel power dissipation.  Shape looks good ( nothing but a paper printer on the scope)    Here are the first measurements with all default switch settings:   We used an old  Lecroy Scope for the pulse  measurements and found some variation in measurement repeatability so some of the variation in the table may simply be hookup or scope related.
The output of the chip is a current and has been modeled with a 62ohm per side load.  The scope measurements were made using a  MiniCircuit  T1-1 transformer between the outputs with the other side connected to a 50 ohm terminated cable.  This presents a load to the A and B outputs of 25 ohms each to virtual ground, so the raw data below is in the column labeled 25 ohms,  and we simply scaled to get the expected differential voltage across the intended 62 ohm load resistors.    -Mitch  ( with significant help from Godwin Mayers who wired up the test socket and a talented summer student, Kurt Brendlinger from Yale.)

Preliminary Pulse Measurements on the GAS-1 Chip:

Ain --> negative impulse input
Bin  --> positive impulse input

11-Jul-07
32fC impulse input

25Ω imp 62Ω imp
Input ∆T (ns) ∆V (mV)
62Ω Gain
AIN_1 7.7 43.6 108.128 3.379
BIN_1 8 41 101.68 3.1775
AIN_2 7.6 42 104.16 3.255
BIN_2 7.8 40.5 100.44 3.13875
AIN_3 7.7 41 101.68 3.1775
BIN_3 8 39.2 97.216 3.038
AIN_4 7.9 41 101.68 3.1775
BIN_4 8 38 94.24 2.945
AIN_5 7.8 39.7 98.456 3.07675
BIN_5 8 37.6 93.248 2.914
AIN_6 7.5 39.8 98.704 3.0845
BIN_6 8 35 86.8 2.7125
AIN_7 7.6 36 89.28 2.79
BIN_7 7.6 37 91.76 2.8675
AIN_8 7.8 40 99.2 3.1
BIN_8 8 39.3 97.464 3.04575

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr;dom:;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606