Re: Preamp tests

Hall D Electronics:

Hi Yves,

    Did you say the shields are not connected at all? That's it! The
cause of the oscillations is due to the fact that the cables connecting
the sense wires to the HV board are just antennas - their shields, to be
effective, need to be connected to some low impedance reference point.
Because these cables are RG174, I believe from a previous picture, the
maximum potential they can tolerate is about 900 V. Therefore, their
shields cannot be connected to GND.

    Looking at the layout of the HV board, I notice there is a resistor
(R50) connecting a trace to the HV and with a decoupling capacitor (at
the bottom of the board). Was this trace meant to connect the shields of
the cables to the HV reference? In this case, the potential between the
inner conductors and the shields is about zero. The shield has then a
low AC impedance to GND through the capacitor. You have to be careful
how you route the cables for safety but try connecting the shields to
this trace. You may want to the decrease R50 to 10 kOhm or so.

    Alternatives? Use thicker cables that can handle 3 KV (RG58?) - this
may not be an option; bring the sense wire pins out of the gas volume
and design a HV board with short traces and good shielding. There may be
others that we need to look at carefully.

    Also, I noticed that the decoupling capacitors are 33 pF - a bit on
the low side. I would change the capacitors to 220 pF, 3KV. This value
is not critical - just a commonly available capacitor.

Best regards,
Fernando