Re: Charge range on tracking chambers

Hall D Electronics:

Hi,
	I would like to point out as well, that interpreting the integrated
charge (x*dE/dx) dynamic range (factor of 100 or whatever) directly as
the dynamic range requirement of the preamp is not quite correct. The
preamp dynamic range of signals will surely be something smaller than
the integrated charge dynamic range, because a track of substantial
length in the CDC probably must involve a large range of drift times.
The ASIC has a shaping time of only ~11 ns, it will not see the whole
pulse at once. Eventually on the ADC board where the pulse is
numerically integrated, we can get a larger dynamic range than the
preamp chip needs to provide on an instantaneous basis.
	Still, the factor 30 is no doubt too low as a basis for preamp design.
But on the other hand, the GAS-1 performance surely indicates more than
30, probably ~100, is available now...

	Gerard

p.s. It would probably be nice if some simulation addressed this issue,
i.e., that would require actual simulation of CDC pulse shapes for
various tracks and account for the electronics response. Do we have
anything like that?