Re: Accomodating I2C and CAN in Hall D control system

Hall D Electronics:

Hi Elliott,
	It should be noted that _all_ control functions for the ADC125 are done
by VME. I presume the same is true of the ADC250 and the F1TDC boards
(Fernando?).
	For the ADC125, I think there are three types of control/monitoring
functions.
	A. Readout controls to setup, e.g., latency setting, window length,
zero suppression thresholds, probably some time/amplitude algorithm
parameters, channel masks, etc. This stuff, I imagine you should
download once at the start of a run and no need to touch them during a
run. So this is no bandwidth burden on the DAQ system.
	B. A few housekeeping parameters to read and log and/or alarm on. This
means, most importantly, board temperatures, probably some power supply
voltages/currents. These things are read only and expected to vary. They
need be read at most once every couple of seconds, and no need to read
synchronously across different boards. It seems to me this should not be
a big burden.
	C. Scalers and other data monitoring, e.g., storing min/max/mean values
(if you want any scalers or such stuff). I would imagine there should be
at least one simple level crossing scaler per channel. Probably more,
e.g., count pulses going over 95% full scale, so you know what is
getting saturated. I have already proposed to you that a separate
trigger command is defined to cause all ADC125 boards to simultaneously
capture their scaler data and stuff it as a special "event" packet into
the DAQ stream. In this way the readout of scalers proceeds at maximum
speed with a minimum of effort from front end through to online display
software (I think), and also it is, I would imagine, useful to have them
captured simultaneously. If this is not a good plan, for whatever
reason, vanilla VME transactions may be used to capture and read the
scaler data. Or you can tell me not to include any scalers at all. (Well
I probably would do so anyway to facilitate testing, but you wouldn't
have to read them of course.)
	Besides the fact that I don't want to have any I2C or such control
interface into the ADC125, I don't think it would be at all appropriate
for item C. And item C would presumably account for the greatest part of
the controls bandwidth for these boards.
	Comments? Asap if there are significant objections to the above...

	- Gerard