Re: CDC connector

Hi all,

There are safety considerations, even if one can test a connector or
device of any sort. Recently, there was an incident at another lab where
it was indicated that the most probable cause was due to an under-rated
connector. Here, it is not important what the incident was, just that it
was likely caused by some device not rated for operation at the required
operating voltage of the apparatus. Notice "likely".

As an example, let's say we have an RG-174 cable (which is rated for
operation of up to about 1 kV, depending on the manufacturer). Putting
an SHV connector on this cable does not change the rating of 1 kV max,
which has been done and often. This is unsafe!

Connectors are usually rated for some operating voltage and tested to a
much higher spec. The operating voltage spec applies. The connector can
also be rated for AC, AC rms or DC operation. Please, be sure to get the
actual specification for the actual application from the manufacturer.
If it does not conform, it is unsafe!

Regards,
Fernando

P.S. I am distributing to other groups and the collaboration because I
have received several inquiries about this recently.

Gerard Visser wrote:
> Hi guys, note where it says "hipot 100VAC". You can get one and test
> it of course, but I don't think it will withstand 2.5kVDC. I don't
> believe it is necessary (for this low power, current-limited
> application) to use a connector officially rated for 2.5kVDC, but you
> do of course need one which will not break down in practice, at say
> 1.5x the operating voltage.
>
>     Gerard
>
> Curtis A. Meyer wrote:
>> Hi Tim -
>>
>>   it looks interesting. Any idea what the cost per connector is?
>>
>>   Curtis
>> On Mon September 29 2008, you wrote:
>>> Hi Fernando, Curtis and Yves,
>>>
>>> Can something like this be used on the CDC?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> http://www.douglaselectrical.com/images/products/sealed_connectors/rect_d_sub_page.gif

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA