Re: Gluex doc 1131: response function

Hi Yves,

My simulations only took the preamp into account, so I did not include
the cable nor the shaper. The response in figure 6 is for an impulse
source. A step function would provide the same shape as the first
portion of your scope, or my simulation, picture but with a very long
tail (almost flat) because of the long RC time constant (220 us) of the
HV cap and resistor. The shaper, of course, removes this tail and gives
you a shape like the one you show.

If this is really needed, I can add the shaper functionality to my
simulations but it may take a while because of other priorities that I have.

Regards,
Fernando

Yves Van Haarlem wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> By looking at figure 6 in your document and comparing it with the
> response function I measured, I see that I have the same shape but in
> my cased the response is three times as long. I checked my input
> signal again (which is a step function and is shown in
> http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/Electronic_chain_simulation
> )
>
> The rise time of this step is 12.5-20~ns - I think this can cause a
> response function that is too long. This has an implication for how we
> we determine the gas-gain and on how we simulate the CDC response.
>
> Would it be easy for you to provide me with an (eg. ascii) file
> containing your response function when you inject a step function in
> the CDC HV-board (a sample/ns) in your simulation? - guess you have to
> add the HV board-circuit. Also, is (Gerard's) shaper included in the
> circuit in figure 4 or is this just the pre-amp?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Cheers,
>     Yves
>
>                           /--------------------------------
>                          /   Yves Van Haarlem
>        _--~~--_         /
>      /~/_|  |_\~\      /      Carnegie Mellon University
>     |____________|    /        Department of Physics
>     |[][][][][][]|:= /          Wean Hall room 8404
>   __| __         |__ \            Pittsburgh, PA 15213
>  |  ||. |   ==   |  | \           USA
>  |  |[] []  ==   |  |   \           Tel.:   +1 412 268-6949
>  |  |____________|  |    \                  +1 412 641-9252
>  /__\            /__\     \          Fax.: +1 412 681-0648
begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA