Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 16:02:56 -0400
From: Fernando J. Barbosa <barbosa@jlab.org>
To: Elton Smith <elton@jlab.org>
Cc: Chris <cuevas@jlab.org>
Subject: R&D budget estimate

Hi, Elton. I hope you are doing well.
    I am providing an estimate for the Electronics Group R&D efforts during the FY2000, as related to the Hall D TDCs. This estimate is based on reliable data as obtained directly from companies, previous and recent designs and from the Design Report. My plan is to have a total of 96 channels prototyped, either on a single board or on two boards, 9Ux400mm and as per VIPA standards (VME64xP-23-1998). Given the size of the F1-TDCs and additional miscellaneous parts, it is a bit unlikely to fit 96 channels on a single PCB. I also include the cost of a complete crate based on estimates contained within the Design Report but you may deduct this amount if you feel the DAQ group will be able to provide it.

TDC Cost Estimate - 96 Channels

        Part                     Cost

        F1-TDC chip              $4,500
        PCBs                     $10,000
        Components               $4,000
        Misc. Hardware           $1,000
        VME Crate(9Ux400)        $10,000

        Total                    $29,500

    I would like to order some of the F1-TDC chips as soon as possible because of import considerations, availability and possible lead times. Please, let me know if you need additional information. Best regards,

Fernando J. Barbosa
Jefferson Lab,
Physics Div., MS 12H
12000 Jefferson Ave.