Comments to Management Plan

Hi Curtis,

I have just had time to think about the management plan, and I have
several general comments. For the purpose of this discussion, I would like
to call your document a "charter", which is what we should aim for at
this time. This distinguishes it from a complete plan with details of
implementation. A complete plan will include the charter and numerous
by-laws, which detail specific implementations of management outlined in
the charter. Rule of thumb: charter goes at fundamental issues and should
be difficult to change; by-laws should suit the situation at hand and
should therefore be relatively easy to update/modify.

(Note: In Hall B, we ran into difficulties whenever specifics were given
in the "charter". For example how many and the names of techical working
groups are details; that techical groups exist for advice is more
fundamental.)

Generally, I believe there many items in the present "charter" that should
be reserved for by-laws.

Collaboration Board: It seems to me that Hall D is not large enough to
require a collaboration board. Most duties assigned to the collaboration
board are appropriately addressed by the Hall D collaboration itself. I
also do not think that the collaboration will grow so large that a
collaboration board is required. Conclusion: let the entire collaboration
assume this role.

Co-spokesperson: Should be elected by the collaboration in the same way
as the spokesperson.

Technical Review Board: Composed of spokesperson, co-spokesperson, Hall D
leader and coordinators of each technical working group.

Technical Working Groups: Defined as needs are identified within the
collaboration. Perhaps we should establish minimum requirements for the
formation of a working group, e.g. related to a minimum number of full
time people which can contribute. The coordinator of the working group can
be selected by the group itself.

Hall D Advisory Board: I like this one.

Hall D Theory Group: It is very important to think about how to integrate
the theory group into the collaboration. I have not had much time to think
about it.

Much food for thought. Cheers, Elton.

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab