[Fwd: Re: leftover permanent magnets]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: leftover permanent magnets
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:49:13 -0500
From: Philip Martin <pmartin@fnal.gov>
To: Elliott Wolin <wolin@jlab.org>

Elliott-

There were five magnets of the type PDV (Bill's mail message had the wrong
designation) built for the MI-8 beamline.  Four were installed, one was a spare.
They are 145" long, with a B.dl of 0.8220 T-m.  They are straight, i.e. no
sagitta.  After initial commissioning of the beamline, I chose to have them
replaced with electromagnets that became available when the Main Ring was
shutdown.  The sole reason for replacing them was aperture.  The magnets were
installed as vertical bends, but close to locations where the beam was wide
horizontally.  Therefore, the gap was a bit tight, especially when the beamtube
geometry is taken into account.  (In writing this, I realize that we could
probably
have gotten by if we had put in a different beamtube in these magnets.  But the
magnets we replaced them with, as well as the power supply, were available.)

I know of no possible use for these magnets at Fermilab.  They are in storage.
The
four saw some beam in 1997, so they are probably slightly radioactive, which
presents only a minor complication for shipping.  Consider them "available".

Phil

Elliott Wolin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're looking for permanent magnets for a new beamline at Jefferson Lab (aka
> CEBAF) and G.W.Foster said some leftover main injector magnets (PVB vertical
> bend dipoles)
> may work for us.
>
> He suggested I contact you for more information.
>
> Are they in use, or just taking up space?  If not in use, are there any plans to
> use them?  If not, could they be transfered (permanently) to Jefferson Lab?
>
> It's still not clear whether they'd work for us, but I don't want to put much
> time into this if the magnets aren't available.
>
>                                 Sincerely,
>                                         Elliott Wolin

>    Help feed the hungry, one click at a time:  http://www.thehungersite.com
>
>     "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

n:Wolin;Elliott
tel;fax:757-269-5800
tel;home:757-229-2724
tel;work:757-269-7365
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Jefferson Lab;Physics Department
version:2.1
email;internet:wolin@jlab.org
title:Physicist
note:A218 CEBAF Center
adr;quoted-printable:;;12000 Jefferson Ave MS12H=0D=0A;Newport News;VA;23606;US
x-mozilla-cpt:;21408
fn:Elliott Wolin
end:vcard