Re: leftover permanent magnets

Dear Phil,

We're getting even more serious about the leftover PDV magnets.  Now we're
wondering about details of shipping, etc.  Obviously a lab-to-lab transfer of
ownership would need to be arranged.  If we decide we really could use them,
we'd be interested in moving them ASAP.

A few questions:

Have the 5 magnets been in a beam?  Could or are they radioactive?

Are they easily accessible?  Can you get them out quickly?

Do they need to be crated for shipping, or just loaded into a truck and tied
down?
If they need to be crated, who would do the work?  Could Fermilab crate them and
drop them onto a truck?  Do we need to supply a crew?

Would someone from JLab need to come out there anyway, even if Fermilab took
care of everything?

Any special shipping requirements (air-ride?)?  How much do you think shipping
would cost us?

Must they be stored inside?  If so, why (our storage czars will put them outside
unless we make a case that they need to be inside...we're terribly short on
inside storage space here!).

Thanks in advance.

				Sincerely,
					Elliott

   Help feed the hungry, one click at a time:  http://www.thehungersite.com

    "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

n:Wolin;Elliott
tel;fax:757-269-5800
tel;home:757-229-2724
tel;work:757-269-7365
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Jefferson Lab;Physics Department
version:2.1
email;internet:wolin@jlab.org
title:Physicist
note:A218 CEBAF Center
adr;quoted-printable:;;12000 Jefferson Ave MS12H=0D=0A;Newport News;VA;23606;US
x-mozilla-cpt:;21408
fn:Elliott Wolin
end:vcard