[Fwd: Re: Yes, we want some of your PDV magnets]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Yes, we want some of your PDV magnets
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:47:47 -0500
From: Philip Martin <pmartin@fnal.gov>
To: Elliott Wolin <wolin@jlab.org>
CC: Elton Smith <elton@jlab.org>

Elliott-
I will start things on this end.  By start, I mean I will get three PDVs moved
off
the stack so we can do an accurate survey, which in turn will allow us to
determine
the shipping costs somewhat better.  Three is a nice number since there are
three
on the top of the stack, and the other two are on the very bottom!  On your end,
once we have the estimate, you will need to get a purchase order for packing and
transportation of these magnets.  The PO should have the shipping address and
any
other neccessary info.  On the 4-4-30s, I will have to enquire around to make
sure
we don't need them...we do have quite a few;  one list shows 47, but some are
still
needed for other things.  Would you like some drawings of them first?  They will
be
radioactive as well, probably more than the PDVs.  The ones we installed
recently
in the transfer lines to the Recycler went through a refurbishment in Technical
Division.  How soon do you really need them?  As for the temperature, I was
being a
bit conservative.  They have already been taken down to 0 C, so it is safe to go
there.  But going colder, they will lose strength permanently.  Bill Foster can
give you more details, but a number from our Technical Design Report indicate a
10%
loss in strength if they are taken down to -20 C.  I.e. 1% loss in strength for
every 2 C.
Phil

Elliott Wolin wrote:

> Dear Phil,
>
> Finally had the big meeting, and everyone agrees that PDV magnets would be very
> useful.  The exact number is somewhat uncertain, but 3 seems to be the favorite.
> Still some administrative hurdles, but I shouldn't be any problems.  I'll get
> the big boss to agree early next week...then just have to do it.  Who should I
> contact at Fermilab to start the ball rolling.
>
> People were surprised that the magnets had to be stored above 40 F.  Our storage
> buildings sometimes get below that in the dead of winter (nighttime temperatures
> can get as low as 5 F, days as low as 15).  How critical is 40 F?  What if they
> were at 20 F overnight?  Guaranteed 40 F or above storage might mean they'll
> have to be stored in my office.  Any add'l information on this will be
> appreciated.
>
> Also, did you get my note about the 4-4-30 magnets?  We think we could use about
> 5 of them for our photon collimator, and would like to ship them with the PDV's
> if possible.  Are 5 available?  Are they radioactive?  Easy to get to?
>
> You mentioned "horse-trading" a while back.  Alas, this lab is fairly new;  we
> don't have any warehouses full of leftover stuff.  In the early days you
> couldn't even find a screwdriver!  I was told to give you a rain check for 20
> years from now...by then we'll have had an upgrade or two, so there'll be lots
> of stuff lying around.  Everything on site now is the original stuff.
>
> Guess we're just going to have to rely on the kindness of strangers.
>
>                                 Sincerely,
>                                         Elliott

>    Help feed the hungry, one click at a time:  http://www.thehungersite.com
>
>     "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

n:Wolin;Elliott
tel;fax:757-269-5800
tel;home:757-229-2724
tel;work:757-269-7365
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Jefferson Lab;Physics Department
version:2.1
email;internet:wolin@jlab.org
title:Physicist
note:A218 CEBAF Center
adr;quoted-printable:;;12000 Jefferson Ave MS12H=0D=0A;Newport News;VA;23606;US
x-mozilla-cpt:;21408
fn:Elliott Wolin
end:vcard