[Fwd: Re: Moving PDV magnets]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Moving PDV magnets
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:08:07 -0500
From: Philip Martin <pmartin@fnal.gov>
To: Elliott Wolin <wolin@jlab.org>

We will be transferring the magnets to you.  (I decide, after consulting w/
Marriner.)   As for packing, I will have to do some work there...people seemed
think we didn't need to do a lot of work with regard to vibration.  We will
double
check that the things called "end shims" are very tightly bolted in, and wrap
each
magnet in herculite to keep it dry and to keep things from getting into the
bore.
Then I would propose putting all three onto a common pair of 4x4s, with spacers
in
between.   We need to worry about whether it's an open truck or closed truck
would cost about $500 for preparing them for shipping.   But I will check around
and see if I can get a better number.  By the way, my number is (630) 840-4547,
if
Joan or anyone else needs to call me.
Phil

Elliott Wolin wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Our property person is Joan Campbell, 757-269-7348.  She's worked with Fermilab
> before and says things usually go quite smoothly.
>
> She says Fermilab has to decide if the 3 magnets will be transferred or loaned
> to JLab...we prefer a transfer, as they'll eventually get buried in a beamline.
>
> Who at Fermilab officially decides such things?  Joan said she could do a lot of
> the work once we decide on transfer vs loan, and when she gets the name of
> someone to deal with.
>
> We'll have to get straight what kind of packing is needed, who'll do it, etc.
> Do you have a favorite shipper?  I assume you'll drop the magnets onto the
> truck, and we'll deal with the shipper directly.
>
> Of course our RadCon guys will need survey info.
>
> We'll need an estimate of the costs if Fermilab wants to charge us for crating
> matl's, etc.  I can then get a PO.  Who can get me the estimate?
>
> JLab is the place if you need help with superconducting RF.  I'm in the Physics
> Dept, not Accelerator, which is a different world.  Although you're collecting
> loads of brownie-points with me, alas this may not help with your dealings with
> the Accelerator dept.
>
> On the other hand, the head of the Physics dept is also an Associate Director of
> the lab.  What I'll do when this is all over is write a letter to him describing
> how cooperative and generous Fermilab has been concerning the permanent magnets,
> and how we've done nothing in return...perhaps this will have some effect in the
> higher levels.
>
> Thanks again,
>
>                                 Sincerely,
>                                         Elliott

>    Help feed the hungry, one click at a time:  http://www.thehungersite.com
>
>     "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

n:Wolin;Elliott
tel;fax:757-269-5800
tel;home:757-229-2724
tel;work:757-269-7365
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Jefferson Lab;Physics Department
version:2.1
email;internet:wolin@jlab.org
title:Physicist
note:A218 CEBAF Center
adr;quoted-printable:;;12000 Jefferson Ave MS12H=0D=0A;Newport News;VA;23606;US
x-mozilla-cpt:;21408
fn:Elliott Wolin
end:vcard