Re: F1 TDC Meeting (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:07:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Paul Smith <paul@xanadu.physics.indiana.edu>
To: elton@jlab.org, barbosa@jlab.org, jastrzem@jlab.org
Cc: doughty@jlab.org, doughty@pcs.cnu.edu, crsteffe@indiana.edu
Subject: Re: F1 TDC Meeting (fwd)

I've been thinking about the VME vs VMEP crates for Hall D.  It seems to me the
model of a crate with a backplane and a single board computer per crate is
obsolete.

Instead, we should think about having a CPU on each front end card with a
100baseT interface.  A switch with 24 100baseT ports can be purchased for around
$500, which is much less expensive than a VME64 backplane and plenty fast
enough.

We should schedule some time at the collaboration meeting to talk about DAQ, but
in the meantime, please poke holes in this idea.

Paul Smith