Re: PCB form factor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:18:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Paul Smith <paul@xanadu.physics.indiana.edu>
To: ptsmith@indiana.edu, barbosa@jlab.org
Cc: jastrzem@jlab.org, elton@jlab.org, doughty@pcs.cnu.edu,
     task-d@dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: PCB form factor

Hi Fernando,

Are you planning to attend the Hall D collaboration meeting next month?  I'll be
giving a brief presentation on the ADC R&D.  I've asked for you to be placed on
the agenda to give a brief presentation on the TDC project.  Also, there is an
electronics working group session scheduled which I hope you, Ed and hopefully
other JLab DAQ people can attend.

There are also the weekly Hall D teleconferences.  It would be great if you or
someone from the JLab electronics/DAQ group could participate in these.

One of the things I'd like to discuss at the working group session is the "form
factor" and bus standard.  If the ADCs are indeed some flavor of VME, 9Ux400mm
probably makes the most sense.  However, I would like to at least discuss
whether VME makes sense for the Hall D front end electronics.  A lot of
commercial development is going in the Compact PCI format.  I question whether
we even need a parallel bus/crate structure at all.  There are several high
speed serial network standards now with faster data rates than VME or PCI.

I thought the F1 chip resolution was 120/60 pS?  Are they really 100/50 pS now?

60 pS is believed to be marginal for the Hall D TOF system.  I wonder if there
is any way to use 4 F1 channels in parallel to achieve 30 (25?) pS?

See you in March.

Paul

>Hi, Paul. How are you? I hope things are moving well on your project(s).
>    We are presently finalizing the specifications on the TDCs and it would be
nice if the ADCs and TDCs could share the same DAQ system. At present, the TDCs
may be used in low resolution mode (64 channels, 100 pS resolution) or high
resolution mode (32 channels, 50 pS resolution) and these cover all requirements
for Hall D, as well as, future upgrades to the existing Halls. VME64X has been
chosen as the interface standard, although some questions still remain. One of
these concerns the form factor. A 6U form factor seems to fit our TDC
requirements. Have you chosen a form factor for the ADCs? I believe the ADCs
will require more board space, maybe a 9Ux400 mm. Is this reasonable? For
standardization, we may have to implement the TDCs in this same format so that
TDCs and ADCs can be used on the same crate, if needed. Standardization of
crates may also lower the cost slightly due to the economy of scale.