Getting going on preamps for Hall D

Hi,

I've heard very little discussion of preamps for Hall D.  Often preamps are left to the
end because they are conceptually simple, but it would be a good idea to get started on
them soon.

The CLAS DC preamps we are using for the FDC prototypes will work fine for the prototypes,
but for the experiment Fernando agrees we can do much better.  In particular, we can
design an ASIC incorporating a better preamp plus drivers and other ancillary components.

JLab currently has no infrastructure for developing ASIC's.  Fernando says the technology
is fairly standard these days but somewhat expensive.  I believe there is every reason to
begin accumulating the needed components now.  Fernando will visit Fermilab and BNL in the
next few weeks or so, and while there he will survey the ASIC development software and
hardware they use.

Thus I propose that near the end of the fiscal year we allocate any remaining H-D money
towards purchase of ASIC development technology, and budget additional money for this in
the following year.  We might split the costs with the JLab Electronics group, of course.

Comments...

				Sincerely,
					Elliott

     "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

                "Secular man, by playing God, becomes the devil"

Elliott Wolin
Stalag 602-11
Gulag ARC-ipelago