DAQ and electronics for FDC test

Hi,

I talked with Drew and Dave Abbott concerning the FDC cosmic ray telescope test.  Dave
says that Kmax is inappropriate for a few hundred channel DAQ, and that we should use CODA
on Linux instead.

Dave thinks we can probably use Fastbus TDC's, depending on the resolution requirements
(Dan?).  These are 96 channel boards, so only a few boards are needed, and there are
plenty at the lab.  Also, there are Fastbus mini-crates available, SFI's, plenty of VME
cpu's, and getting a PC should be no problem.  So there is a clear path to a complete DAQ
if we follow Dave's suggestions.

I will make a formal request to the DAQ group if we decide to go this route.

Mehmet needs to think about how he will analyze the data, which will be in evio (CODA)
format if we go with CODA.  JAS/FREEHEP may be interesting here, talk to Dave Doughty and
his students.  A java evio package will be available within the next few weeks.  I also
have utilities to convert back and forth between evio (binary) and xml (ascii).  A C evio
package is of course available.

				Sincerely,
					Elliott

     "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

                "Secular man, by playing God, becomes the devil"

Elliott Wolin
Stalag 602-11
Gulag ARC-ipelago