Re: your mail

HI Alex,

Generally this looks good. I have a few commnets below:

Elton.

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Alex Dzierba wrote:

> Dear Colleagues
>
> Now that the dates for the GlueX electronics review are set (July
> 23-24) we need
> to organize our preparation.  In the short term this includes:
>
> 1.  Draft of letter from Larry to Andy and Glenn specifying the charge and the
> format of the review.  - It would be nice to close on this today so
> that the letter
> could be sent early next week from Larry.
>
> 2.  A preliminary agenda with topics and possible speakers.
>
> Both issues discussed below in more detail.  Please make comments
>
> Alex already Fedex'd copies of the DR to both Andy and Glenn.  We
> should arrange
> to send additional material to them by July 7 which means that we should
> documents ready for internal editing done by July 1.
>
> Finally, you might want to look at this nice review note by Andy Lanford.  It
> is precisely the type of overview appropriate to a review at this stage.   We
> will try to find an electronic version but in the meantime we can send out
> hard copy.
>
> DEVELOPING AND COMMISSIONING BABAR ELECTRONICS.
> A.J. Lankford for the collaboration. SLAC-REPRINT-1999-137, 1999.
> Prepared for 5th Workshop on Electronics for the LHC Experiments (LEB
> 99), Snowmass, Colorado, 20-24 Sep 1999. In *Snowmass 1999,
> Electronics for LHC experiments* 23-35.
>
> Alex Dzierba and Paul Smith

> ----- Charge and letter ------
> We start here w/ Elton's draft charge:

> Is our electronic design sound, and are any special areas of concern that
> deserve special study?
>
> Do we have a roadmap, including milestones, which will guide us to a final
> electronics design which will meet the needs of the GlueX experiment?
>
> Are there any major items missing in our list of R&D tasks, and is the
> priority given to each appropriate at this stage?
>
> Are there technologies or developments which we have overlooked and may
> allow cost savings and/or improved technical performance?
>
> We think that this is fine with the exception of item #2 to which the answer is
> clearly no at this stage.  Instead we should ask for guidance on what
> we need to
> concentrate on in preparing for a serious Lehmann review.  Alex
> mentioned this to
> both Andy and Glenn and they agreed this is a good approach.

this is fine. however, we should also start putting together a draft of
possible milestones.

> Also we should ask for guidance on management/manpower

good idea.

> -----Format and Agenda (Prelim - subject to discussion)  ------
> Format: Day 1
> Start at 8:30 am - Day 1 with 4 hours of presentations.
> Executive lunch and session for 2 hours
> Reconvene with collaboration for questions
> Format: Day 2
> Collaborators respond to questions (2 hours?)
> Reviewers meet to write review report
> Closeout with lab management and GlueX personnel
>
> Agenda:
>
> Welcome and charge - 15 min - Larry
> Overview - 30 min - Alex
> 	- minimal discussion of physics
> 	- minimal overview of detector
> 	- rates, data sizes
> 	- storage and computational chllenge
> 	- management

> Front end electronics and FADC's (Paul) - 30  min

Fernando Barbosa could also address some front-end electronic issues

> TDC's - 20 min - JLab person?

Ed Jastrzembski (or Fernando) would be the right choice

> Trigger - (level 1) - 30 min - Dave
> Data formating/sparsification/DAQ - 30 min - Paul

Ed and David Abbott have been thinking about data formatting issues
related to the TDC

> Manufacturing, quality control, maintenance - 30 min - Elton
> Summary - review of issues - 30 min - Curtis

Missing from the list is a discussion of
infrastructure/grounding/cabling/etc.  Chris Cuevas has background in many
of these issues and perhaps could provide a draft/guidance here.

Jefferson Lab