Hall D FDC prototype

Hall D folks,

Since I sent out my original questions on the FDC prototype design
drawings provided by Randy Wojcik (on 5/19/03), several questions
have been answered or addressed.  In this email I sum up the
those who have been following this line of emails, I separate the
answered/solved issues from the open questions/problems.  I will
begin by listing the issues that are still open.  Let me know if you
have any questions.  I will arrange with Elton upon his return to
have a meeting focussed on these issues.

My comments are based on the latest drawings from Randy (version 4;
circulated on 5/21/03).  This is my complete list.  If you have
any questions or concerns, please pass them on to me.

				       Daniel

Open questions:
---------------

I). Figure: randyV4.pdf  (wire frame)

 1). The definition of the ground planes needs to be revisited.  In the
     past I have had the highest noise immunity when I surround the signal
     traces with a sizeable ground plane.  In this design the signal
     traces are ``out in the open".  Noise immunity is an important
     consideration for this prototype so that we can make the
     most informed decisions on the electrode layout.

     Randy's response: Currently no ground plane is planned to be used. Please
         contact Elliot and Fernando about that.  I did add a top and bottom
         ground trace around the edge of the boards.

     Fernando's response: I agree we should have a ground plane surrounding
         the traces for noise immunity. For that matter, we should have it
         everywhere, except the active area of the detector and away from
         any HV sections.

     I also talked with the IUCF wire chamber guru (Keith Solberg).  He also
     agreed with my statements.  He also indicated that he likes to include
     ground plane definition between the signal traces in order to minimize
     channel to channel cross talk.

 2). Need to include external sighting mark to locate chamber relative
     to an external reference.

     Randy's response: Please tell be what sighting marks you want and where
         you want them.

     I would like a target included on the PC board for at least the wire
     plane in a place that can be seen after the chamber is put together.
     I guess this means on the HV `ear'.  We can then connect the
     measured wire positions to this external target for alignment within
     the test stand.

II). Figure: cathodeV4.pdf  (cathode board)

 1). The cathode board design still has a number of open questions.  When
     last we talked, we decided to make the cathode plane (the copper-cladded
     kapton) larger in size so that we could include dowel pin holes to
     improve the alignment and positioning.  I assume that we are mounting
     this on top of a G10 frame.  The question is how we will attach this
     to the G10.  In my mind it seems that we will have to epoxy the
     cathode plane to the G10 to ensure that it cannot move and also to
     ensure that our chamber remains gas tight.  Once the attachment is
     made, then we will have a mechanically sturdy cathode board that we
     can mount Fernando's signal on.

     Randy's response: I am not sure how it is planned to be mounted to the
         G10. I have asked that as well and not received and answer yet.  The
         connection to Fernando's readout is at the signal connector pads on
         the left and right side of the drawings.  I would guess we would make
         a G10 frame with a step down to .062" where the connectors are.  The
         G-10 gives the mechanical strength and Kapton gives the electrical
         connection to solder to.

     You have not received an answer yet probably because I am supposed to
     provide the answer.  However I want to discuss this with the group.
     Perhaps Howard Fenker can provide some input to this question based
     on his experience.  Also because it seems that we have to permanently
     attach the cathode sheets to the G10, and because we are testing
     sets of cathode sheets with different cathode strip spacings, we will
     have to order enough G10 frames for each.

 2). Why are the cathode strips uneven at the ends?

     Randy's response: Does it matter?  If so, how close do they have to be?

     My feeling is that if they do not line up evenly then we are asking
     for trouble.  The unevenness at the ends of the strips will give
     rise to a non-uniform electric field configuration near the ends of
     the strips.  I think this can lead to resolution smearing.

 3). The present design has an o-ring laying across the top of the cathode
     strips.  Is this an issue.  Usually we spread a thin layer of o-ring
     grease around the o-ring to maintain elasticity.  But this can give
     rise to a high-resistance short across the strips.

III). Figure: mechv4.pdf (mechanical drawings)

 1). The gas inlet and outlet ports on the aluminum frames should be
     placed in opposite corners for the best gas flow through the
     chamber.

 2). Is it better to put the o-ring in the aluminum frame than on the
     corresponding G10 frame?

Addressed questions:
--------------------

I). Figure: randyV4.pdf  (wire frame)

 1). We need provisions for HV connectors on the PC board.  These
     should be PC Board mounted connectors.  Also, what are the
     holes in the PC board near the HV ``ears".

     Randy's response: The holes on the PC board are for mounting standard
         SHV connectors Kings type 1704-1.  From them we will just wire to
         the board with silicon wire.

 2). Will the PCB manufacturer drill the through holes on the board?
     If so, how are the dowel pin holes specified?

     Randy's response: The boards are made by CNC means.  All locations of
         the holes are in the image and downloaded to the CNC machine during
         manufacture of the PCB.

 3). The width of the solder pads seems to be too narrow.  I prefer to
     have them 1.5 to 2.0 mm wide.

     Randy's response: I narrowed the solder pads to allow voltage difference
         of up to 1500V which was asked for.  In general the spacing should be
         .1" per 1000V.  If we choose 1.5 mm, the spacing will support a
         difference of 1380V.  If that is ok, I can easily increase them.
         Currently they are .03" wide.

     I think that 0.03" will be ok after some further reflection.  It is
     just a little narrower than I have used in the past.

 4). Will there by a solder mask included?

     Randy's response: No solder mask is planned just to reduce the possibility
         of gas poisoning materials in the chamber.

 5). The signal traces running from the solder pads to the connector
     have sharp corners.  Is this just an artifact of the drawing
     program?  I prefer smooth curves to reduce the possibility of HV
     breakdown and signal reflection.

     Randy's response: The image you see is after conversion to PDF which does
         not do a good job with curves since it is basically a compression
         routine.  All traces are curved.

 6). What is the difference between the blue HV bus and the red HV
     bus?  Are they meant to be on opposite sides of the board?

     Randy's response: Red is one side, blue is the other side.  Otherwise it
         would all be shorted together.

     Obviously I recognized that if the busses were on the same side they
     would short.  My confusion stemmed from the fact that I thought that
     the entire back side of the wire plane was copper.  That is not the
     case.

II). Figure: cathodeV4.pdf  (cathode board)

 1). What about holes for gas flow through the kapton?

     Randy's response: Yes, I forgot about those originally.  I added them
         about a week ago but did not think it was important enough of a
         change to send out a new version.

 2). Is there going to be any ground plane definitions on the cathode
     board?

     Randy's response: Currently no ground plane is planned to be used.
         Please contact Elliot and Fernando about that.  I did add a top and
         bottom ground trace around the edge of the boards.

* Dr. Daniel S. Carman                   e-mail : carman@jlab.org    *
* Ohio University                        office : (740)-593-2964     *
* Department of Physics                  fax    : (740)-593-1436     *