RE: Notes Meeting Wed Jan 28 / tagger

Dear Elton,

Thankyou for providing an accurate summary of the proposed design for an
external tagger vacuum system which was discussed yesterday. Please treat
the design as a possible option, which should be considered alongside other
options before a final design can be determined.

Indeed in an e-mail from Yang, he mentioned another possibility suggested by
Paul Brindza, which should definitely be considered.

The suggestion - as I understand it - is to take a horizontal slice from the
bottom of the top pole shoe and the top of the bottom pole shoe and
construct a single welded vacuum chamber which would incorporate the two
slices of pole shoe. This would make the vacuum box a reasonable weight, the
box would be inserted between the pole shoes, could be taken out of the
magnet if there are vacuum leaks without taking the magnet apart, and could
be manufactured and tested independently of the magnet. We would have to
make sure the box was sufficiently strong to withstand the atmosphere
forces. When the box is inside the magnet, extra strengthening would be
available by screwing the top and bottom lids to the field clamps. Outside
the magnet, removable spacers could be inserted between the slices of pole
shoes for vacuum testing. There would probably be some distortion of the box
between the pole shoes, the effect of which on the field uniformity will
need to be investigated.

An alternative to welding, is to use O-ring seals between the vacuum box and
a lip on the poleshoe slices. I think this is probably OK, since pressure
could be applied to the seals by having tightening screws, outside the
vacuum seals, which would go through the - reasonably thin - pole slices and
be threaded into the walls of the vacuum chamber. I shall send a sketch to
clarify what I mean. This is safer that using similar seals between the
whole poleshoes and the vacuum box since the O-ring sealing then depends on
very accurate machining of the whole structure of the spectrometer, which is
not affected  when the magnetic forces are applied. At 1.8T this force is
400 tonnes.

Cheers,

Jim.