Comments on new Tagger magnet vacuum tank

Comments/thoughts on the new tagger vacuum tank design

I do not have much experience with the tagger designs, so some of these
off-the-top-of-my-head comments are probably obvious to those that have
been thinking about this. I also spoke briefly with Dave Kashy about the
tagger design with external vacuum chamber to get his thoughts on this.
Here are some observations.

Turbo pumps could be about $30K, not excessive compared to magnet cost of
about $1.5 M. Vacuum is 10^-5, compared to 10^-5 in beam line and 10^-6
around target.  Time for initial pumpdown is hours, 10-12 hours to steady
state vacuum.

- All cooling water (LCW), and power for magnet must be in vacuum,
requiring corresponding feedthroughs.
- All instrumentation on magnet would need feedthroughs into vacuum
system.
- Any water leaks would contaminate the vacuum space.
--> Maintenance issues need to be addressed

Current Hall B design uses the rigidity of the magnet itself to support
the vacuum chamber. The vacuum chamber tank design requires external
strengthening.

Pressure on vacuum chamber is approximately for 1m x 7m = 40in x
280in=11,000 in2 x 14.2 lb/in2 = 0.3 x10^6 lbs = 150 tons, or comparable
to weight of magnet.

Volume evacuated is large compared to what is actually required for
physics.

We discussed several of these issues with Ravi, Guangliang, and Elliott.
Ravi has entered many of the hand drawings into the computer and will make
drawings available on the web as pdf files for discussion.

Jefferson Lab