Re: Chamber Infrastructure

Hello Ravi,

On Mar 15, 2004, at 6:13 PM, Ravi Kiran Anumagalla wrote:

>  I have come up with two models for supporting the drift chambers
> inside the calorimeter.
>

>  Hence we have a gap of 10 cm to support the CDC,FDC and would need to
> have enough space to accommodate the cables being removed from the
> upstream end of CDC.

>  DATA Required:
>
>  If I have the exact number of cables which needs to removed from the
> front end (upstream end) I could modify the dimensions of the fiber
> glass chambers to suit the space requirement.
>

>  pls. give me your comments, so that I can modify/improve the current
> 2 models which I have proposed.

If you look at page 203 of the version 4 GlueX design report there is a
summary of the numbers of channels for the various detectors.  I can
tell you that the forward and barrel calorimeters, the cerenkov, and
the time-of-flight will most likely use RG58 coax for the signals.  The
central drift anodes and forward drift cathodes will most likely use
ribbon cable coax; this typically has 16 very small coax cables per
ribbon; one manufacturer is AMP.  The TDC signals will likely be on
twisted pair ribbon cables; this typically has 16 pairs per ribbon.
AMP also makes this type of cable, although there are many sources.
I'm sure you can find examples of these types of cable at JLab.

I think it would be very useful to start including cables in your
models.  There is also plumbing for the target which needs to be
included.

If you look at page 191 of the v4 design report, there is a paragraph
about cabling.  We would like to operate the detectors in the extracted
position; this implies either some sort of cable loops with a way to
manage the extra cable, or that the electronics moves with the
extracted detectors.  Having the electronics located as close as
possible to the detector and moving during extraction is my preference
since this minimizes the total cable length.  My understanding is that
this is done in hall B when the CLAS detector is opened.  Page 203 of
the design report also summarizes the number of electronics racks
required.  I showed an oversimplified cartoon of this at the meeting
last December; you can see it at:

http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/meetings/coll_dec2003/talks/
Paul_Dec_2003_collab.ppt

Extracting the forward drift chambers from the back of the magnet
implies the FDC cables also exit from the back of the magnet.  This may
be a problem with acceptance - hermeticity is essential for the GlueX
physics; this needs to be looked at carefully in the simulations; to
the best of my knowledge none of the simulations to date include
cables.

Please don't hesitate to ask me questions,

Paul Smith