Re: electronic channels (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:39:02 -0400
From: Ravi Kiran Anumagalla <ravi@jlab.org>
To: Paul Smith <ptsmith@indiana.edu>
Cc: Elton Smith <elton@jlab.org>, brindza@jlab.org
Subject: Re: electronic channels

Hi All,

I would like to update on the space calculations of the cables I have been
working on,Pls refer the attached pictures for a detailed explanation. As
indicated earlier, the number of cables required are listed below.

         Detector
Channels/Cables                      Cable Type

Forward Drift Anodes
2880/180                         Coax Ribbon(3mm thk)
Forward Drift Cathodes
5760/360                         Twisted Ribbon (2mm thk)
Central Drift Anodes
3360/210                         Coax Ribbon(3mm thk)

1> The CDC cable connectors are located on the surface of the CDC disc at the
downstream end,210 connectors are modeled to suit the exact number of cables
listed in the table above.  pls refer slide 28 in the power point
presentation file below:

http://www.jlab.org/~ravi/hall/hallD/gluex.ppt

2> The closest cables shown on "slide 30" nearest to the CDC are the 1/4 " HV
cables. I have assumed each package(i.e FDC and CDC) to use 24 cables, As
shown in the picture, we have 72, 1/4 " cables, the remaining 24 tubes are
shown to indicate gas connections for the FDC's.Hope this number is
reasonable???

3> On the 5cm of gap between the CDC/FDC and the Barrel Calorimeter, 10
layers have been modeled to accommodate the 540 cables, each layer has 61
cables located on the circumference of the CDC, 10 layers account to a total
of 610 cables. An extra 70 cables have been included to indicate that we have
additional space. The cables have been modeled by including a space of 1mm
between them, this allows comfortable assembling of the cables.

An insight of the AREA available.

Area b/w the CDC/FDC and Barrel Calorimeter =                   1965  sq cm
Area of 610 cables,considered 3mm thk for the worst case =      856.5 sq cm
Area of 72, 1/4" cables
=       23 sq cm
Area of 3 thk
rails                                                            =       156
sq cm

The space occupied by the cables along with the thk rails accounts to 52.7 %
of the total area available.
Let me know if you all have any comments.

Thanks
Ravi