Coherent Brem activities

Radiation Friends,

Last week the Bernhard, Ken Livingston, Harut Avagyan and I met to discuss
options for support of coherent bremstrahlung activitities. The meeting
was motivated by work at Yerevan related to coherent bremsstrahlung in
general, but on the 'SOS' configuration in particular. At the moment we
welcome any and all suggestions for moving this activity forward. Larry
Cardman is supportive of exploring options for developing high quality
photon beams, and we want to capitalize on existing expertise.

Ken mentioned that the Glasgow group has funding and a framework in place
for the study of tagged photon beam facilities in general, and coherent
brem specifically, through "Eurotag". Including in this grant is 35k Eu
for workshops. Eurotag will study channeling at Mainz, as well as pursue
other activities on tagged photons incluidng polarimetry, acquisition
systems and calculations. Eurotag includes collaborators from Kharkov in
the Ukrane.

The group at Yerevan includes two young experimentalists.

There are at least two upcoming workshops planned in Europe on this
general topic.  The first workshop on "Advanced Photon Sources" Including
chaneling, coherent bremsstrahlung, etc. is in Yerevan from Aug 29 to Sep
2. The web page should be available by the end of this week. The second is
a Workshop on Charged and Neutral Particles Channeling Phenomena
"Channeling 2004" in Frascati (Rome), Italy November 2 - 6, 2004 more
details available from http://www.lnf.infn.it/conference/channeling2004/

We decided on a proposal to move things forward: Invite 2 persons from
Yerevan to Jlab for about 1 week to work on developing a proposal for
either beam studies and/or calculations. This should be organized at a
time that Ken can be here as well, and the first opportunity for that is
August. Elton and Bernhard promised to ask Volker for funds to support
this effort. Volker suggested we ask Larry for funding and he has agreed
to support their travel.

Harut will contact his Yerevan colleagues to see if August is a convenient
time. Once a general time frame is settled, we will invite all parties
that might be interested to meet a Jlab during their visit. Persons that
come to mind are Arne Freyberger, Eugene Pasyuk, Krister Bruhwel, Catholic
University (Franz Klein), Richard Jones, and others.

During their visit, we could also consider organizing a small workshop on
this topic.

Cheers, Elton.

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab