From Jim Kellie: Workspace for tagger assembly at JLab. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:01:10 +0100
From: Jim Kellie <j.kellie@physics.gla.ac.uk>
To: Jim O'Brian <james.o'brian@montgomerycollege.edu>,
     Hall Crannell <crannell@cua.edu>, Dan Sober <sober@cua.edu>,
     Paul Brindza <brindza@jlab.org>
Cc: Yang Guangliang <y.guangliang@physics.gla.ac.uk>,
     Alex Dzierba <dzierba@indiana.edu>, Eric Scott <ebscott@indiana.edu>,
     Elton Smith <elton@jlab.org>
Subject: Workspace for tagger assembly at JLab.

Dear All,

I am just recently back in Glasgow after having been away, and I suggest it
would be good if we could reserve some workspace for the tagger at JLab as
well as asking for space for the spectrometer. This point has already been
raised at conference calls etc, if I remember, and I feel that at some stage
the complete tagger, vacuum system and focal plane should be assembled for
systematic testing at JLab before final installation.

The area occupied by the tagger dipole magnet, the vacuum system and focal
plane will be about 4m by 12m ( 13ft by 40 ft ). I think we will require at
least twice this area ( say 30ft by 40 ft ) to have sufficient room to work
on the assembly. What is the general view that this space could be found?

While I was away, Yang has been doing a lot of design work for a two magnet
tagger for 12 GeV, and he has come up with what I think is a viable
solution. Yang is making up a file which will show the main design
parameters and compare them with those for a single magnet system. We will
send them to you next week.

I also suggest it would be good if we could report on our latest design work
at Bloomington. If Yang will have a visa by then, I suggest he gives a talk,
but if he cannot come, I can substitute for him.

Cheers,

Jim.