calorimeter [simulations] meeting

On Wednesday, March 15th, 2000
we had a calorimeter [simulations] meeting.

Attendees:
==========
  Carlos Salgado, Edward Brash, Randy MacLeod, Elliott Wolin

Agenda:
=======
  None: This was an impromptu meeting arranged because
Ed Brash was at JLab.

Overview:
=========

Discussion of calorimeter optimization and prototypes.
Existing G3 event generators & spagetti calorimeter code.
What about neutrons in barrel?
Info and plans for manpower.

MINUTES:
========

Performance criteria to be optimized:
 time resolution,
 energy resolution,
 position resolution - may not be constant (z)
 length of barrel. - how far back do we go?

These all contribute to the separation of gamma, pi0, eta hits.

Some of us need to read about KLOE:
 see: http://www.lnf.infn.it/kloe/
You can get to some NIM articles from there.

Elliot Wolin knows someone who did alot of work on spagetti calorimeter
MC and has access to some useful G3 code.
v/
Ed has alot of G3 event generators.

Should the barrel cal be sensitive to neutrons?
Typical reaction is gamma p -> pi+ pi- pi+ n
What is the distribution of the neutron?
What is the travel time?

Aside:
Can we put a highly segmented detector right in the photon beam line?
I'd guess that a large fraction of the flux that we miss goes
down the hole. It might have to be far away from the main detector - say just before the beam
dump.
The folks at NA48 did proton tagging this way.
Sure the rates would be high but that's when FADCs come in handy.
The main problem is to be able to resolve events due to this
"active seconday target" from the real target.

http://www.cern.ch/NA48/Welcome/papers/Overview.html
      Title : The tagging detector of the CP-violation experiment NA48 at CERN
              (full text in PDF format)