Re: Reorganization of Hall-D group area.

Hi David -

   I am sure that this does need cleaning up. However, there are a
few things that may be useful:

The main GlueX web site is not the JLab site, but rather

   http://www.gluex.org/

all links to a "main" gluex site should go there.

The GlueX document repositories are currently archived at the
site:

  http://www.halld.org/

You probably want to point into these for documents, and any and
all offcial documents are supposed to be archived here. I don't think
that we are complete, but we are trying.

As per the software in the cvs directories, I can well imagine that
it is a mess. There are a lot of things that were dropped in there
about 4 years ago, and probably not used since then. You may well
want to consider archiving most of the stuff there, and trying to restart
with some minimum set of software. (I honestly have not looked at this
is a while, but I know how repositories grow.

The bottom line is that almost anything that you do would be good,
go for it!

   Curtis

On Monday 03 May 2004 05:03 pm, David Lawrence wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	I was looking at the Hall-D group area on the JLab CUE
> (/group/halld) and am considering how it could be reorganized a bit.
> I have a tenative plan that was discussed with Ed and Elliot which
> is outlined below. I'd very much like feedback and suggestions on this
> before I touch anything so please feel free to send me any you may have.
>
> This is just a list of top-level directories with descriptions about
> what type of things would go there. Everything that is currently in
> /group/halld would either get moved somewhere in this directory structure
> or get deleted (actually, put in a "junk" directory somewhere).
>

> Applications     - Applications and libraries which may not really
>                    fit in the more general /apps directory or which
>                    we want to keep control of. For example, distributions
>                    of mcfast or bitkeeper.
>
> Archives         - At least two types of archival files can be kept
>                    here: 1. dumps of the calibration database (and
>                    any other relevant databases). The archives could
>                    be easily used to reproduce a database on an offsite
>                    server. 2. External source code packages. Specifically,
>                    things like tarballs and rpms. We could store specific
>                    versions of say, xerces or mcfast source code here
>                    for easy access by collaborators and to guarantee
>                    access to older versions which may be required to
>                    run legacy code.
>

> ?Documents       - This may be a symbolic link pointing to the root
>                    directory where the Hall-D document control system
>                    stores its files (if such a thing exists). With a
>                    good, web-enabled DCS, this may be unneccessary.
>
> Engineering      - This area would be for use by the Hall-D mechanical
>                    engineering group.
>
> ?Hardware        - Originally, this was intended to hold files related
>                    to things like design of printed circuit boards,
>                    drawings of crate placement in racks etc. It was
>                    unclear that anything would really emerge here that
>                    would not be better suited for the document control
>                    system. Any ideas?
>
> Repositories     - The CVS repository root and the bitkeeper repository
>                    (under evaluation) root. Since "/group/halld/cvsroot"
>                    is in widespread use, a symbolic link would need to
>                    exist in in /group/halld pointing here so everyone's
>                    checked out copy isn't broken. Eventually, we would
>                    make the transition to using:
>                    /group/halld/Repositories/cvsroot
>
> SoftwareReleases - "Frozen" versions of Hall-D software. src, bin, and lib
>                    subdirectories for each release.
>
> Users            - Individual collaborators could make their own
>                    subdirectory here to keep any (reasonably sized) files
>                    which can be accessed by the halld group from any CUE
>                    machine.
>
> Work             - Symbolic link pointing to /work/halld
>
> WWW              - Symbolic link pointing to the root directory of the
>                    JLab Hall-D website.

This last one in my mind should point to gluex.org - the Jlab site is
not really where we want to send visitors to GlueX??

> Again, any feedback on this will be enthusiastically received. I don't
> intend to effect any changes until after the collaboration meeting (unless
> there is an overwhelming DO IT NOW response.)
>
> Regards,
> -Dave

>   David Lawrence Ph.D.
>   Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
>   Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
>   http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[

Professor Curtis A. Meyer        Department of Physics
Phone:  (412) 268-2745          Carnegie Mellon University
Fax:    (412) 681-0648            Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
cmeyer@ernest.phys.cmu.edu  http://www.curtismeyer.com/