Reorganization of Hall-D group area.

Hi All,

	I was looking at the Hall-D group area on the JLab CUE
(/group/halld) and am considering how it could be reorganized a bit.
I have a tenative plan that was discussed with Ed and Elliot which
is outlined below. I'd very much like feedback and suggestions on this
before I touch anything so please feel free to send me any you may have.

This is just a list of top-level directories with descriptions about
what type of things would go there. Everything that is currently in
/group/halld would either get moved somewhere in this directory structure
or get deleted (actually, put in a "junk" directory somewhere).

Applications     - Applications and libraries which may not really
                   fit in the more general /apps directory or which
                   we want to keep control of. For example, distributions
                   of mcfast or bitkeeper.

Archives         - At least two types of archival files can be kept
                   here: 1. dumps of the calibration database (and
                   any other relevant databases). The archives could
                   be easily used to reproduce a database on an offsite
                   server. 2. External source code packages. Specifically,
                   things like tarballs and rpms. We could store specific
                   versions of say, xerces or mcfast source code here
                   for easy access by collaborators and to guarantee
                   access to older versions which may be required to
                   run legacy code.

?Documents       - This may be a symbolic link pointing to the root
                   directory where the Hall-D document control system
                   stores its files (if such a thing exists). With a
                   good, web-enabled DCS, this may be unneccessary.

Engineering      - This area would be for use by the Hall-D mechanical
                   engineering group.

?Hardware        - Originally, this was intended to hold files related
                   to things like design of printed circuit boards,
                   drawings of crate placement in racks etc. It was
                   unclear that anything would really emerge here that
                   would not be better suited for the document control
                   system. Any ideas?

Repositories     - The CVS repository root and the bitkeeper repository
                   (under evaluation) root. Since "/group/halld/cvsroot"
                   is in widespread use, a symbolic link would need to
                   exist in in /group/halld pointing here so everyone's
                   checked out copy isn't broken. Eventually, we would
                   make the transition to using:
                   /group/halld/Repositories/cvsroot

SoftwareReleases - "Frozen" versions of Hall-D software. src, bin, and lib
                   subdirectories for each release.

Users            - Individual collaborators could make their own
                   subdirectory here to keep any (reasonably sized) files
                   which can be accessed by the halld group from any CUE
                   machine.

Work             - Symbolic link pointing to /work/halld

WWW              - Symbolic link pointing to the root directory of the
                   JLab Hall-D website.

Again, any feedback on this will be enthusiastically received. I don't
intend to effect any changes until after the collaboration meeting (unless
there is an overwhelming DO IT NOW response.)

Regards,
-Dave

  David Lawrence Ph.D.
  Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
  Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
  http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[