Re: Minutes from GlueX Software Meeting

Hi All

Regarding a gold-platted reaction study, yesterday we discussed
diffractive omega production with rho-Delta final states as
background (they both yield a pi+pi-pi0proton final state).   I
incorrectly assumed that the ratio of 9 for diffractive rho to
omega production would also hold for rho-Delta to omega-p.
It does not.  Please see the attached note which has cross sections
and results of a study of the overlap (there seems to be very
little) between gamma p to omega p and gamma p to rho Delta - in
terms of the latter providing a background under the omega in
the former. We may want to think of another candidate reaction
to understand effects of resolution.

Cheers
Alex

At 4:05 PM -0500 2/6/07, David Lawrence wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>    The minutes from todays software meeting are available on the Wiki at:
>
>http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/February_6%2C_2007_Software
>
>and copied below.
>
>Regards,
>-David
>
>==Agenda==
>
># Review minutes from [[January 30, 2007 Software]] meeting
># [[FCAL status]] (Mihajlo)
># Action items
># Golden Channels (Alex)
># Rates in CDC layers added inside ring 1 (Richard)
># Update on the background normalization factor (Richard)
># Results on tagger background from electron beam halo (Richard)
>
>==Minutes==
>
>Attendees: David L., Elke A., Simon T., Elliott W., Elton S., Mark
>I., Eugene C.
>On the phone: Mijhalo K., Richard J., Alex D.
>
>===FCAL status===
>Mihjalo reported on some recent work regarding the FCAL
>reconstruction. The work focussed on the rate of multi-cluster
>backgrounds generated from single photon events. These tend to be
>generated from "pe-shower"-ing off of another part of the detector
>upstream. It appears to come primarily from the FDC cables which
>result in a large increase of multi-cluster events at around 9-11
>degrees.
>
>A linearity correction has been applied to remove most of the
>descrepancy between the reconstructed and thrown cluster energies.
>This descrepancy can be seen in the plots shown at the [[December
>11, 2006 Software]] meeting. With the energy correction, the
>distribution appears to have a floor term of almost 5%. Alex pointed
>out that Rad-φ had a floor term closer to 3.2%. Richard
>suggested another non-linearity correcting iterator algorithm may
>not be enabled in the current reconstruction. Mihjalo will look into
>it.
>
>For next time, Mihjalo was going to look into doing the following:
>*Throw photons distributed evenly over solid angle rather than just angle.
>*Look at the splash profiles of the multi-cluster events. In particular:
>**How close are the clusters (can we merge them?).
>**How is the energy distributed between the clusters.
>
>===Action items===
>''<deferred until next week>''
>
>===Golden Channels===
>Alex gave a brief report on a discussion he'd had with Elton
>regarding the "golden channels" we should look at with the
>simulation. The
><math>\gamma p\rightarrow b_{1}\pi \rightarrow \omega\pi \rightarrow
>\pi\pi\pi</math> channel looks to be a good choice since
>it is a close match to the expected decay path for hybrids.
>
>For the purposes of the upcoming reviews, they thought of combining
>data from the following 2 channels:
>*<math>\gamma p\rightarrow \omega p \rightarrow p\pi\pi\pi</math>
>*<math>\gamma p\rightarrow \Delta\rho \rightarrow (p\pi)(\pi\pi)</math>

> [...]

Alex R. Dzierba
Chancellor's Professor of Physics (Emeritus)
Department of Physics / Indiana U / Bloomington IN 47405 / 812-855-9421
JLab Visiting Fellow
Jefferson Lab / 12000 Jefferson Ave / Newport News, VA 23606 / 757-269-7577
Home Phone: 812-825-4063  Cell:  812-327-1881  Fax: 866-541-1263
http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~dzierba/

gxdoc_ard4.pdf