Re: updated geometry

Beni,

Thanks for getting that done. Sounds like real progress.

This brings up a code management issue that I have been wondering about
for some time. It seems like we have a two step process: check-in new
xml-based geometry information, then, by hand, generate the
corresponding Fortran GEANT code, then check in the fortran code. This
procedure violates the usual philosophy of only checking in "source"
materials and allowing a make system to generate "derived" materials. It
seems to have lead to some confusion about what we have in the Monte
Carlo vs. what we have in the geometry. And I suspect some of the build
problems I have had recently have to do with trying to maintain both
"source" and "derived" in the Subversion repository.

My naive proposal is that we remove the Fortran GEANT code from the
repository and regenerate it as part of the make system. Then one is
guaranteed consistency between geometry specification and code. Also (if
this can be done) a user can modify the geometry and use it immediately
in the Monte Carlo without having to know the details of how to generate
the Fortran code, i. e., play with a private version of the geometry
without becoming an expert. Is there some fundamental problem with this?
Too computationally expensive? Too many "helper" applications to
install? Also, I have no idea how complicated it is to generate the
Fortran code given you have everything you need installed.

On the subject of helper applications, I think we should be able to put
together enough documentation and scripts to install them on most
systems, especially if the applications are coming to us from
experienced/professional programmers.

What do you and others think?

  -- Mark