Question on Pythia Background Normalization

Hi Richard, Eugene, (and whoever else might know the answer to this
question),

I'm thinking about about this technique of using PYTHIA  to generate
backgrounds for specific signal channels.  I'm afraid I may have
overlooked a normalization detail in the past.

In the past, say for the calorimetry review, we took the total
photoproduction cross section at 9 GeV is 120 mu-b.  Then we take some
signal process with a cross section of 1 mu-b.  To create a mock data
sample we then mix events from Eugene's bggen with signal in a 120 : 1
ratio.

However, if I look at the control files and documentation for bggen I
see that by default it appears to be pulling events from the full
coherent brem spectrum (which makes sense!):

EPHLIM   0.15 12.       energy range in GeV

So I believe what we are getting then is not the 120 mu-b at 9 GeV,
but instead the total photoproduction cross section integrated over
the coherent brem energy distribution.  I'm not sure what this cross
section is, but it will be larger than the 120 mu-b which assumes the
beam energy distribution is a delta function at 9 GeV.  That means
that if I take raw events from bggen the mixture with signal needs to
be much higher than (for our example) 120 : 1.  In other words we have
been underestimating our backgrounds.

Alternatively, I could setup bggen to only pull events from a narrow
window around 9 GeV by adjusting the EPHLIM card above.  When I do
this, then I may correctly mix the two samples at the ratio of cross
sections at 9 GeV.

In this latter case, I'm neglecting things produced by photons outside
of the peak of the coherent brem spectrum.  If these events cause
pileup or background problems then I'm neglecting this background.
One can imagine this latter case is equivalent to requiring that I tag
the beam photon.  Then I'm strictly interested in signal / background
separation for 9 GeV photons.

Do you agree that the logic above is correct?

-Matt