Software Meeting Minutes

Hi All,

    Here are the minutes from the Aug 1st Software meeting (yes I know,
I know ...) . They are also on the wiki at:

http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/August_1%2C_2008_Software

Regards,
-David

==Agenda==

# Review minutes from [[July 18, 2008 Software]] meeting
# BCAL Reconstruction Status (Blake L.)
#* added time smearing, changed threshold to 4.8 MeV (Green Fibres/SiPM)
#*
[http://argus.phys.uregina.ca/gluex/DocDB/0010/001081/001/compare_33_64.pdf
Comparison of 3x3 vs. 6x4 BCAL Inner Segmenation]
# Discussion Items:
#* TOF reconstruction
#* Hall-D share on JLab Batch farm
#* ''gxtwist'' location and build scheme
# [[Action Items From Hall-D Software Meetings|Action Items]]

==Participating==
===Location===
The meeting will be at 1:00pm in Cebaf Center F326.

===Telephone===
To connect by telephone:
1.) dial:
 800-377-8846 : US
 888-276-7715 : Canada
 302-709-8424 : International

2.) enter participant code: 39527048#  (remember the "#")

===Video Conferencing===

We will attempt an EVO connection for this meeting.
We have a reasonable expectation that this will work.

==Minutes==

Attendees: David L. (chair), Simon T., Beni Z., Elke A., Sascha S., Mark
I., Herun Y., Elton S., Jim S., Eugene C.

Phone: Blake L. (Univ. Regina), Alexander O.(FSU), Matt S.(IU)

===BCAL Reconstruction Status===

Blake gave a brief status report on some of the recent work done on the
BCAL reconstruction and simulation. Much of this was started during a
recent trip Blake made to IU to work with Matt and Mihajlo. The main
changes to the code were:

* Time smearing of the BCAL hits
* Low energy threshold recalculated and set

Results of a study comparing resolutions of a BCAL design with the
nominal 6x4 and the alternate 3x3 inner region readout segmentation were
presented. The 6x4 segmentation corresponds to a readout design using
SiPMs and the 3x3 using Planacon PMTs. The studies indicated very little
difference in the energy or angular resolutions of the 2 schemes. It was
noted, however, that the same low energy threshold (4.8MeV) was used for
both cases even though the Planacon design is expected to have a lower
threshold. The resolution has a dependence on the low energy threshold.

===Discussion items===

====TOF Reconstruction====

Alexander O. of FSU has started looking into the TOF reconstruction
since FSU is now responsible for that detector system. Since some code
is already in place for the TOF, Alex was thinking of looking into the
PID aspects a bit more and the integration of the TOF into the tracking
code.

David noted that the TOF is currently not used anywhere in the tracking
code. The particle TOF is calculated assuming it is e.g. a pion and
knowing that the drift time is measured (essentially) from the start time.

It was suggested that since the time-of-flight problem must be solved in
both the TOF and BCAL detectors as far as tracking is concerned that
Alex broaden the scope of his project to include the BCAL time-of-flight
as well. He was going to think about it.

====Hall-D Batch Farm Priority====

As a follow up to last week's meeting when Sascha noted that Hall-D had
essentially no priority on the JLab batch farm Dave went and talked to
Sandy Philpott, head of Scientific Computing for the IT division. They
arranged to add Hall-D into the priority with about a 5% guaranteed
share. Of course, if no one else is using the farm, then we get 100%.
The 5% only comes into play when there is competition.

There was some debate as to whether we should ask for more. It was
decided (with dissension) that  we should keep it at this level until we
see it hindering our work flow. It was noted that several of our
collaborators (IU, FSU, CMU, UConn) all have farms of their own that can
be made available to others. The JLab farm is primarily used by JLab
staff at this point.

====''gxtwist'' location in repository====

There was a brief discussion on moving the gxtwist package (simulation
of the tagger building) from the topmost directory of the repository
down into a directory parallel to HDGeant. It was quickly and
unanimously agreed that this should be done and David volunteered to do it.

==[[Action Items From Hall-D Software Meetings|Action items]]==

==Next Meeting==
Charged particle tracking.

  David Lawrence Ph.D.
  Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
  Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
  http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[