Re: Problem with FDC hits in new savehits.F

Hi Mark,

    I guess that depends on what you mean by "official release". If the
criteria is "software where everything more or less works" then it will
be a few years before the first "official release".

    Here, I use "release" to mean a snapshot of the code that at least
compiles and runs on the primary supported platforms (F8 RHEL5, Mac OSX)
that can be used as a common basis for comparison. The procedure used
for making a release is as described here:
http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/HOWTO_Create_a_Hall-D_Software_Release

    It would be nice to vet these kind of issues with a standard set of
tests before tagging a release so bugs like the one described (which may
turn out not to be one after all, but that's beside the point) would be
identified  and fixed prior to the tag. However, devising said tests and
a system for applying them efficiently is going to take some work which
is why this has been an orphan project on our software task lists page
for years now.

I think Alex is starting to think about this some in the context of
geometry checking and will present some ideas and lead a discussion on
this at next week's Software meeting.

In the meantime, I think we are stuck with making periodic tags and
using the "it compiles" criteria since *a* tag is better than *no* tag
as evidenced by how easy it was for me to point Richard to the exact
version of the code with which I was seeing a problem.

Regards,
-David

Mark M. Ito wrote:
> Dave,
>
> David Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> ... ran into a problem with the hits from the FDC. It short, it looks
>> like there are very few...
> Whoops, I guess it's not official yet.
>
>  -- Mark

 David Lawrence Ph.D.
 Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
 Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
 http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[