Re: fresh checkout and compile

Ryan,

You are quite right; one should not have to struggle as you did.

This "feature" was introduced by me, I am sorry to say.  I made the
switch to having event.xml be the authoritative file. Unfortunately,
this introduces a two-level chicken and egg problem. Level 1: you need
to build hddm-c on the programs side before you do a make on the
libraries side in HDDM. And level 2: you need to do a make in the
include directory on the libraries side in the include directory before
you do the aforementioned make on the programs side. Suffice it to say
the current make system was not designed to deal with an authoritative
event.xml.

By the way, your solution is quite reasonable. Doing all this
automatically is on my list. You just moved it to the top. Probably
should have been there before.

I should say that I think both HDDM and HDDS should perhaps (in the
future) be broken out of our standard tree and stand independently. They
are really tools, and have no particular knowledge of GlueX or Hall D or
any other particular geometry or data format. That way these tools could
be built first (like we build ROOT and CERNLIB) and the GlueX-specific
build items could go ahead and use them. So, for example, the hddm-c
binary would exist before the GlueX build starts.

  -- Mark