Minutes of the June 17, 2009 GlueX Offline Meeting

Find them posted at
http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/June_17%2C_2009_Software#Minutes
and attached as text. There are some (?)'s in the text; please correct
as you see fit.

June 17, 2009 Software
Minutes

   UConn: Richard Jones
   JLab: Eugene Chudakov, Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Sascha Somov,
   Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann

Review of [33]Last Meeting's Minutes

   We  spent  some  time  discussing Matt's suggestion (from two meetings
   ago,  actually) of having all random-number related processes, such as
   smearing,  occur  in  a  stage  before  reconstruction  and having the
   results of that stage written to disk. David pointed out that there is
   already  a program, mcsmear that takes the hdgeant output and produces
   smeared  hits in HDDM format, suitable for the reconstruction program.
   Right  now only tracking is smeared but it would be straightforward to
   do smearing of the calorimeters as well.

   Richard  asked  if the smearing used the truth information. David told
   us  that that was done earlier but now the smearing is only applied to
   hits (i. e., to detector response information).

Announcements

Special system user account at JLab: gluex

   Mark  reminded us of the existence of [36]this account. David reminded
   us  that  there  are  several  cron  jobs  currently running under his
   personal  account  that  would  should  be  transferred  to  the gluex
   account.

GPU discussion next time

   The  often-postponed  discussion  of  using GPU's for data analysis is
   tentatively  planned  for the next Offline Meeting. Sandy Philpott and
   Jie Chen of the JLab IT Division, Xipeng Shen of William and Mary, and
   Richard plan to participate.

New Magnetic Field Maps

   David  reviewed  the [39]new maps that we received recently from Floyd
   Martin. He has written a [40]HOWTO on the procedure to convert Floyd's
   Excel  files  to  our field map format. There he also describes how to
   produce  a  ROOT  file of the map (Elton has been using these). To use
   them,  the  correct  command-line argument needs to be supplied to the
   reconstruction program to shift the field by the appropriate amount in
   z.  David will provide a table for now with the correct values, but in
   the  future this should not be necessary when all useful maps have the
   same coordinate system.

   Richard  pointed  out that the ability to apply a z-offset is provided
   in HDDS. This feature is not being exploited in the current code.

Bug Fixes from Richard

   Richard reviewed his [42]recent email.

missing CDC and FDC hits

   This  appears to be an old, well-known feature of GEANT3 when the step
   size  is  made small to account for thin layers of material. Due to an
   internal  optimization  strategy  the  answer  to the question "have I
   crossed  the boundary" can be answered in two different ways, both are
   used  in  some  instances  and  if  the  answers conflict, swimming is
   halted(?).  Richard  put  in  a  fix  to  catch  these cases and allow
   swimming  to  continue.  The  change  was  made  in gtnext(?). Richard
   encouraged  us  to test the code and confirm that the problem has been
   solved.

2 GB output file limit in HDGeant

   This was fixed by an adjustment in the use of the xdr API. xdr is used
   to  write  machine-independent  (endian-independent)  binary  data. In
   addition   we   need   to   compile  our  code  with  the  gcc  switch
   -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  thrown  whenever  we  compile. David agreed to
   implement this change.

Kalman Filter Update

   Simon  showed  further  progress  on  his  fitter. The two most recent
   changes  are to do a wire-based fit before using drift information and
   to   change  the  cut-off  angle  where  he  changes  from  a  forward
   parametrization   to   a   central   parametrization.  He  showed  big
   improvements in the formerly problematic areas around 20 to 40 degrees
   in  polar  angle. Resolution is generally slightly better than for the
   least-squares  fit  and  in a few regions a lot better. There is still
   lots  to  do (in particular looking at the fitting efficiency) but the
   improvements were marked.

Complexity Growth in HDGeant

   Richard  noted  that  there  have been several changes in HDGeant that
   have  added  dependence  on other large packages (such as ROOT) and on
   our  reconstruction  libraries  (such as tracking). He thought that if
   this  could  be  avoided, it would make maintenance of HDGeant simpler
   (the  "fewer  moving  parts"  argument). Discussion focused on the the
   distance-of-closest  approach algorithm in the tracking package. David
   introduced  the  algorithm  used  in  tracking  into HDGeant it to get
   consistency between Monte Carlo and reconstruction. He was not getting
   agreement   with   the   straight-line-while-in-a-cell   approximation
   formerly used in HDGeant.

   We  decided  that David would back out the change in question and when
   he  was  done,  Richard  would  take  track curvature information into
   account when creating hits.

Deferred Agenda Items

    1. Work disk information
    2. Software tag policy

Action Items

   We  agreed  that  we should revive our regular review of old items and
   listing of new ones. Here are the items generated at this meeting:
    1. Introduce calorimeter smearing into mcsmear.
          + Tell Matt about our discussion -> Mark
          + Consult with Matt on how this can be done -> David
    2. Add -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 switch to gcc in makefiles -> David
    3. Back out tracking doca algorithm from HDGeant -> David
    4. Include  "arc  correction"  in  HDGeant  straw  hit  generation ->
       Richard
    5. Bring  back  the  "Action  Items" agenda item in future agendas ->
       Mark

   Recorded by [49]Marki 09:35, 19 June 2009 (EDT)

   Retrieved from
   http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/June_17%2C_2009_Software