Re: Missing references in the Overview document (fwd)

Hall D PID Mail List:

Hi Curtis,

The new version of the document is a great improvement over ealier
versions. I have a few comments:

---------------
General: Add equation numbers. This is good standard practice and allows
easy reference.

page 22

Second paragraph on track fitter only finding 85% of the tracks. This
should be dealt with in the tracking document. But it is clearly a red
flag that needs to be carefully presented.

Figures 15 and 19 need to be updated.

---------------------------------

page 1 second paragraph.

Should indicate that E852 at Brookhaven used a pion beam.

page 1, figure, general

Use the option to put the figure at the bottom [b] option. This and other
figures are followed with a single text line which is easy to miss.

page 2, top line, add ) after Figure 1

page 2, first paragraph, middle

"This design provideS for...While the acceptance is not completely uniform
in all variables, THERE ARE NO HOLES IN THE KINEMATIC VARIABLES OF
INTEREST."

page 4, bottom paragraph,

should explain the notation for (qqbar)_P and (qqbar)_S.

page 5, bottom subtitle, pythia should be all caps

page 7, Table 5 and 6 captions, suggestion

...estimates have been NORMALIZED... to" (I assume that is what tuned
means)

page 9, last sentence before figure 3, remove sentence

"Also shown is the fit to the corresponding E852..." ? Nothing is shown
although the sigma is stated. I suggest you remove the sentence.

page 9, bottom under comparison with E852,

suggestion to include Alex's comparison of acceptance for neutrals.

page 11, bottom paragraph, question

The distribtuion "...followed e(-t/2)..." Is this really true? or is it a
typo? Perhaps just to study the result of lower momenta particles....

page 15 middle, typo

11^circ -> 11^\circ

page 16 middle, second paragraph, add ) to Figure 16

page 16, bottom paragraph, question

What analysis is described here for the dE/dx? Have we seen it? With these
scant details a reference is needed.

page 16, bottom line, typo K/pi -> k/\pi

page 17, bottom paragraph, suggestion

"Overall -> "AT TURNON, the GlueX....

page 19, top paragraph, middle

is the 1.5 mm z resolution verified? I thought we had been quoting 2 mm in
some documents

page 19 second paragraph, first phrase suggestion

Semi-qunatitatively ->

"The angular regions of detection can roughly be divided as follows:....

page 19 under Momentum resolution, second line

"...particles are tracked USING the detector simulation PACKAGE HDGENANT
[23,24] based on GEANT 3.14."

page 19, second line under sigma_deltap/p:

...several structures in FIGURE 12...

page 19 middle, same paragraph

...jump is observed each time AN FDC package is not hit...

page 22, Track finding and fitting, Figure 15

The figure and the discussion is based on old results. You need to get the
latest figure from David that eliminates the dip at around 12 deg. (It is
very flat). The text will have to be modified accordingly (middle of first
paragraph.

page 22

Second paragraph on track fitter only finding 85% of the tracks. This
should be dealt with in the tracking document. But it is clearly a red
flag that needs to be carefully presented.

page 25, figure 19

The figure text of cut=2.3mm, etc are incorrect. They should be in cm.
This also needs to be corrected for the size of the hole in the FDC at the
bottom line of the page. I asked David to see if he could easily reproduce
the plot.

page 26 middle bottom paragraph

"...and WERE used in section...

page 26 concluding sentence:

"... in an essentially unexplored KINEMATIC REGIME."

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab MS 12H5
12000 Jefferson Ave
Suite # 16